And they stick in logs well too :D :D :D :D
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 13, 2015, 12:25:11 PM
And they stick in logs well too :D :D :D :D

Ain't that the truth.  :)
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

ScottAR

I worked at a Lowe's for a time and a couple of their lifts had those type forks.  They were very handy for spliting a lift of 2x lumber or CD plywood.   We never speared any of the higher grade plywood as some damage is likely.  Framing lumber didn't seem to matter and anything with stickers still in it was breeze. 

We called em "sharp forks" and they were.  Scraping around on the concrete floor will tend to sharpen them like a razor blade so be mindful.  Keep forks as low as possible with the forks tilted down.  Sharp fork meeting a workers leg is gonna be a real bad day. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Sixacresand

Good call on the forliftt, Yellow Hammer.  Something with hydraulics and forks is my goal too.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

YellowHammer

This is my first propane powered machine, up til now I always preferred diesel, then gasoline.  While I was researching them, I gradually became convinced I wanted a propane fueled lift, even though I know very little about them.  Supposedly, they have advantages of very long engine life, longer than either gas or diesel and they start very well in cold temperatures.  I guess the jury is still out becuase I have less than a weeks experience with it, but every time I asked the question about propane fuel to major forklift dealers in my area they would always tell me there are many reasons that the vast majority of commercial forklifts are propane, and once I got used to it, I'd agree.  From what little I've seen, they don't smoke, don't stink, are very quiet, and seem to get pretty good mileage.  If anybody has some more insight, or things to look out for, I'd appreciate it.  My next step is get a few more forklift propane bottles; I have a place that fills them right down the road, so that shouldn't be too much of a pain.

YH
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

Evergreen Man

One thing I do know about propane lifts is to make sure the tank is the right way up, it shouldn't be possible to put it in upside down, but if the vent isn't at the top things can get exciting, fast, on a hot day. :o

You will also smell propane on those hot day as that vent is letting off pressure.

I know one reason their real popular for forklifts is because you can run them inside without fumigating yourself. ;)
I used to think I was crazy, then I realized: I'm the only normal one.

hacknchop

Only trouble we ever had was in real cold temps like-40 the propane stayed liquid, wrapped the tank with battery blanket helped to get it to start, but your not likely to see those temps where your at.
Often wrong never indoubt

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Knute

Privacyleech,
I have an Allis WD with loader which works fine for putting logs on my LT28. Can buy them quite cheap and they are good tractors. If you can find one with power steering, so much the better. If you can afford it, spend a little more for an Allis D-17 with power steering.

ScottAR

Sometimes the gauges on the propane bottles go wacky.  You can still tell how much fuel is in the bottle by putting your hand on the side and feel the temp change.  The fuel will be cooler than the empty space.  If you run the lift hard on a humid day, there will be frost on the bottle. 

Go across bumps diagonally; easier on the operator.
*Unless* you have some tippy stuff on the forks, then go straight across.  A warehouse I worked at we carried gaylords (4ft cardboard cube) of parts 4 tall.  Cleaning up a fallen stack took awhile. 

Keep about 4 sticks of 2x on the lift.  you'll always need some dunage to set lumber on. 

Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

YellowHammer

Quote from: hacknchop on January 14, 2015, 11:10:53 PM
Only trouble we ever had was in real cold temps like-40 the propane stayed liquid, wrapped the tank with battery blanket helped to get it to start, but your not likely to see those temps where your at.
At -40!! the forklift is that last thing I'll be trying to use, except maybe to drive it someplace warm.
I still can't image working in some of the low temps you northern guys saw in.

ScottAR, and Evergreen, and others, thanks for the good advice.  I didn't know about the vent, either, thanks.
YH 
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

4x4American

Quote from: YellowHammer on January 16, 2015, 10:20:13 PM
Quote from: hacknchop on January 14, 2015, 11:10:53 PM
At -40!! the forklift is that last thing I'll be trying to use, except maybe to drive it someplace warm.
I still can't image working in some of the low temps you northern guys saw in.

ScottAR, and Evergreen, and others, thanks for the good advice.  I didn't know about the vent, either, thanks.
YH

And on the one day of the year up here that it's 100*F we're sweatin saying how do them southern boys take this kinda heat all summer long!
Boy, back in my day..

Thank You Sponsors!