iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood floor for mill shed

Started by reswire, October 26, 2015, 08:06:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

reswire

Curious if anyone has a wood floor in their mill shed?  If so, how thick are your floor joists, how far apart, and how did you support the joists?  I'm thinking of using telephone poles cut off level below the joists for support, but not sure if the whole adventure is a waste of time.  I'd love to have a concrete floor, but I'm on a budget... ;D ;D   
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Bandmill Bandit

I don't have mill shed yet BUT i have set up on rig matts a few times and it works real good. I would not be afraid to do a wood floor at all. Think id try to get some tamarack for skids and then 3X10 planking. the harder the planking wood the better I would think.

Just my opinion.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

thecfarm

I can remember one member doing the wood floor. just don't ask me who it was??  ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

reswire

My major concern is making it strong enough for the mill, and the log.  I think I'll try and make it all out of white oak, and treat it with Copper Green.  I'm thinking about 3x10 joists (16 inches on center), and 5/4 oak boards on top.  The weight of the mill should be pretty spread out on the flooring, so I think it will work OK.  At least I hope so! ;D ;D
Norwood LM 30, JD 5205, some Stihl saws, 15 goats, 10 chickens, 1 Chessie and a 2 Weiner dogs...

Bandmill Bandit

i think id go 6X6 on 24 inch centre skids and planked with the the 3X10 white oak. That aint gona go any where. maybe put down  6 inch of 2 inch washed rock as a base. that would be about as solid as cement when your done. eliminate the joist and keep it closer to the ground level. Maybe excavate a bit to get so you are real close to natural grade level.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

redprospector

I'm going to be building my mill shed soon, and have been considering a wood floor. I think wood would be a lot easier on the legs and back than concrete. I may end up with just a gravel/clay floor though.
1996 Timber King B-20 with 14' extension, Morgan Mini Scragg Mill, Fastline Band Scragg Mill (project), 1973 JD 440-b skidder, 2008 Bobcat T-320 with buckets, grapple, auger, Tushogg mulching head, etc., 2006 Fecon FTX-90L with Bull Hog 74SS head, 1994 Vermeer 1250 BC Chipper. A bunch of chainsaws.

Quebecnewf

I have a wood floor in my saw shed . Building is 20 years old now. Built on rock( see gallery pic)

The stringers (3) are 4 x 10 cut from old hydro pole BC fir I think. The headers are just spruce slabbed two sides 5" on 24" centres. The wood floor is 1 1/4" boards. Used this for many years , better than concrete , easier on the legs  and feet.
Had a few broken boards over the years from dropping logs. Not a big problem draw nails and replace with a new one.

This summer floor was getting worn in places , once again not a problem , nailed down a new floor over the old one. Real solid now. If this one wears out ( I won,t get to wear it out ) just nail down another.

Quebecnewf

47sawdust

My mill sits on a wood floor.2'' hemlock over railroad ties on 30'' centers.The ties sit on a bed of crushed stone.No problems.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

bandmiller2

Reswire, is your mill stationary or are you going to move it in and out.?? Most of the mills I've seen have the weight of the mill and deck supported by concrete or posts and the flooring built around them to support sawyer and crew. My circular mill has what I call a spring floor of 2" oak supported every three or four feet. The floor is springy under foot and not as tiring as concrete plus warmer when the weather is damp and cold. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

reswire

I'll be moving the mill from time to time (occasional off site jobs), but hope to keep it in the shed as much as possible.  That means I'll be using the mobile legs for a base.  I've gotten a good deal on some asphalt millings, and will put down 3-4 inches as a base under the mill floor.  I've got some telephone poles left over, and I'm considering halving those and using them for a stringer system.  I'll probably put 2 inch White Oak boards on top, if I can get enough logs together.  If I can place my stringers 2 foot on center, I might be able to get away with 6/4 boards on top, and save a few logs....   Altogether my mill shed is 16x32, and I put on the front of a 24x28 shed that was existing.  It will be in a "T" configuration,,, I'm hoping to get a board drag back for my saw soon.  If my planning turns out right, I might be able to find a double edge planer in the future and keep myself and my helper out of the weather. 

I've looked at some gallery pics of other sawmills, and came to the realization that I'm verrrryyy fortunate to live in VA.  Those snowy pictures of Canada and the Northern states, make me glad to live where I am!!   :o :D

I lived in Northern Michigan during the 70's while in the Air Force, but I had forgotten how cold 2+ foot of snow really looks!   My hat is off to our Northern Sawyers..... :snowball: :snowball:

reswire

Quebecnewf,,, I really enjoyed your gallery pictures.  Beautiful countryside, but a little bit on the snowy side!   Did your mill roof cave-in due to snow, or did the stuff blow in sideways??? :D :D  I'll stick to the occasional couple of inches here and there, let you Canadians have all the deep stuff!  Love to visit sometime, but I'd have to leave before the blizzard set in! :D :D

Thank You Sponsors!