iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Kiln temp and humidity logger using the Raspberry Pi platform

Started by btulloh, December 31, 2017, 02:05:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JoshNZ

I upgraded the little relay board to SSRs today. Noticed the third or fourth load maybe I was starting to get relays sticking particularly on the heater.

Opto22 have a series of SSR relays, on the bench they only drew 2.1mA from the pin at 3.3v which is pretty amazing.

The pi and software have been great, hasn't missed a beat yet otherwise.

I cracked one of the little blue relays open to look at the contacts, they're about the size of a ballpoint pen end  ;D don't know where they got their 10A rating. Better not to use them in kiln projects.

Crusarius

thats 10 amps in chinese metric :)

I have been wondering the same thing about alot of that stuff. I know for a fact some of those 30 amp switches I would not trust with 10!

JoshNZ

I've been pondering another couple of questions about my kiln and thought this would be the best thread to ask them in..

All still going great, the pi controller is a fortress. Will be another kiln or two on the way at some point.

I wondered - should I be including a defrost cycle in my software? Practically speaking is it OK to run the compressor for 24h straight, or does it want to switch off for 6 minutes every hour to thaw the coils? Right now it is running continuously and still seems to bucket water out when I've got a green load in there but I'm wondering if this is optimal.

Also, I would like to encorporate an "EMC at given settings" on the interface page so I don't have to refer back to tables. I see there are calculators online which take a temp and RH, but I thought it must surely vary from species to species? Is there a one size fits all formula?

I've been creating a list of error conditions for a watchdog timer type piece of code to check, simple things like temp gradient too steep upwards (fire or failure), or downwards (stranger opened door and stealing wood!), and a power cut check - this one has caught me out a couple of times as the pins are defaulted to low on power up.

Thank You Sponsors!