iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Sinker Log - Water Tupelo ( Swamp Tupelo Gum)

Started by Cypressstump, July 23, 2012, 11:14:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cypressstump

Had located this log a long time ago, figured it for a Cypress, but had sneaking suspicions it was a gum as I had never taken a piece off the log for verification. At any rate it was in the way of a neighbors soon to be installed bulkhead on his riverfront. Either way, I would take the Gum for it has a use to me, altho' not valued like cypress. People call it trash wood down here. It was easy pickings at few hundred feet from the camp and less than 20 foot deep.
I could stick my whole arm into the exposed end of the log underwater, but could not tell how far the cavity went into the trunk. Turns out, nearly all the way after I got it lifted....

Water tupelo wood has fine, uniform texture and interlocked grain, makes for a lightweight, strong board if dried right. It takes a load of stickers  at 12 inch
centers and good weight to make it dry correctly. This log had some unusually red coloration to it with the black edges. The gum will usually have black interior ring under the sap wood, this one had about 2-3 inches of black with red center of board. My camera died after I got it to the mill, no pics of milling it. Although I had to cut around the hollow, I still got some real nice 16" x 14'  and smaller board cut at ¾ ". It will serve for the interior of a boat house I plan to build later.

I did not take the time to saw cut the log to manageable lengths prior to loading as it had started lightening from a storm, therefore it was a bit long for my trailer. The ramp is next door to my property, so I did not have to travel but 100 feet with it.

I need a bigger trailer......... ;D....

Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

beenthere

Thanks for the pics.
Look forward to what it saws up into. Hope you get some good pieces out, regardless.

Did you have to dive to get this one hooked up?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

clww

How about one of those trailers that the power companies use for power poles?
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Cypressstump

I'm in the market for a 26 ft gooseneck. I had one setup years ago. Now need another. That carhaul trailer works pretty good if I don't load too long of a log, 16' - 18' works fine.

This one was in 18-20 foot. Pay out enough winch line, grab the 40 lb tongs and they'll take you to the bottom asap.. ! I free dove on this one.
Stump

Timberking 1220 25hp w/extensions -hard mounted
Case 586E 6k forklift
2001 F350 4X4,Arctic Cat 500 4 wheeler wagon hauler
Makita 6401 34",4800 Echo 20"er, and a professional 18" Poulan PRO , gotta be a 'pro' cuz it says so rite there on tha' saw..

Thank You Sponsors!