iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

best way to keep up with board feet sawn

Started by Mountain Sawyer, December 20, 2013, 08:03:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mountain Sawyer

Hey everyone, Can anyone shed light on the best way to figure or keep up with the board feet that you saw throughout the day.
Always enjoy the outdoors that God has made

Magicman

I scale, mark, and tally each day's sawing at the end of the day.  If I have a cut list, I keep up to assure that the cut list is met,  but I do not keep up with the actual bf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

drobertson

bout the only way I know if a daily tally is required, it to make a tally sheet,
1x4- xxxx (bdft/length)
1x6-xxxx(ect)
ect..
ect..
2x4-xxxx(ect)
2x6-xxxx
ect...
ect..
Just count them, tally, and you are done,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

bandmiller2

I just stack the lumber in 4' wide piles, length times width times number of tiers. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

schmism

is daily board feet sawn for refrance of "i sawed 1500 bft today"  or your useing that bft to determine a charge to the customer?

so is there a difference between bft sawn rough ( slabs before edgeing)  and bft sawn after edging?  vs bft sawn off a cant (no edgeing required)
039 Stihl 010AV  NH TC33D FEL, with toys

Sawdust Lover

I do the same as bandmiller. Works good for me!

Ron Wenrich

I worked commercial sawmills for 35 yrs and took daily footage.  Layer counts for lumber, much like the way Frank has described.  For blocking and heavy timbers, I do piece counts.  A day's sawing was mill footage today + volume removed from mill - mill footage yesterday. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Gasawyer

I just keep a talley (and or customers list)sheet on my control box cover and do a running talley. Its worked well for me over the years.
Woodmizer LT-40hdd super hyd.,Lucas 618,Lucas 823dsm,Alaskian chainsaw mill 6',many chainsaws large and small,NH L555 skidsteer, Int. TD-9,JD500 backhoe, and International grapple truck.

slider

Running tally works better for me.Trying to count random length lumber already stacked was a pain to me.I usually pass it on to the customer .
al glenn

Jim_Rogers

Clipboard with running tally, enter into computer at end of day for daily total. Sometimes per log for over run checking.

Jim Rogers

PS. When working here in the yard it is sometimes nice to take a break after each log to warm up, fill the stove, and record the tally while warming up. On site, I do it at the end when I come back to the office.
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

I've tried keeping a running tally, but just can't seem to keep up with it!

Once in a while I will ask myself, "did I just count that one or not", and there goes the tally.

I have better luck tallying at the end of the day!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Jim_Rogers

Chuck:
I do know what you mean.
But I have established a system that when I carry the board/plank or timber off the mill and set it down on the way back to the mill I go to the clip board and check it off. That way every time something leaves the mill it is counted.
As mentioned "it works for me"....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Tom the Sawyer

I keep a running tally sheet with a table for each log - 4 logs per sheet.  I have a mechanical tally counter mounted on my control panel and hit the button just as I finish each pass through the cant. 

When board widths or thicknesses change I enter the number from the tally counter on the tally sheet, zero the counter and keep on milling.  If something happens where I think I may not have hit the counter button I don't have too many boards to check to get back on track.

If we take a break I enter the info from the tally sheets into a program on my phone which calculates the board footage, or milling minutes, and the milling fees.  If no breaks then I figure it at the end of the job.

It wouldn't work for everyone.  About 90% of my milling volume is on the road so my office is the cab of my truck.  Most of the logs are of inconsistent lengths, milled at multiple thicknesses and with the clients doing the stacking.  I have tried to count and measure boards in a stack at the end of the job and it just didn't work for me.  Clients may stack boards even with the tailgate rather than the front of the bed, move a trailer and bring in another, carry the boards into their shed, or we work until dark.  For me, it is so much easier, and accurate, to count the boards as they are milled.       
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

red oaks lumber

we sticker everything off the mill into there own packs per lenght and size  so counting at the end of the day is real easy. dosent matter if its our wood or a customers.
we usally only saw 2 or 3 widhts so there arent to many packs.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Dave Shepard

Although I rarely have help to confuse things, I do run an edger, so I don't keep a running tally. I just add everything up at the end of the day. I keep track of footage as part of my record keeping so that I know what my operating costs are per foot. I'm also shooting for the million board foot club. When I custom saw, which is not my main motivation for owning a mill, I charge hourly. I like to keep track of footage sawn so I know how my hourly billing compares to sawing by the foot. Typically, the customer makes out better by the hour. I've had some pine jobs done around $.20/foot and some white oak timber jobs around $.50/ft, which, considering the amount of effort and turning, squaring and clean up cuts, is really reasonable for long hardwood timbers, in my opinion.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

MIsawyer

Ive found the best way to find the board footage for your lumber sawn is to take a "block tally".
You multiply the average widthin inches by the average length in feet by the number of layers for each pack and then divide by 12 then you multiply that number by your lumbers thickness
4/4 =1
5/4 =1.25
6/4 =1.5
8/4 =2
Example: you have a pack thats average width is 40in average length is 9 1/2 feet and is 25 layers high and is 5/4
40×9.5×25=9500
9500÷12=792 (rounding up)
792×1.25=990
Your block tally is 990bf I find this to be pretty accurate hope it helps.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, MIsawyer.

How about an intro thread and sharing some info about yourself and your log/lumber/sawing interest.  Also adding your location in your profile is useful.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Brian C.

When we remember to figure out what we did we use the tier method. Average width of the stack in feet times the average length in feet times the height in inches.

Thank You Sponsors!