iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Skeans1

Quote from: barbender on July 28, 2021, 11:53:49 PM
Skeans, do you guys cut to a basal area prescription, trees per acre, or?
Both depends on the stand a lot of what I do is by eye I'm looking for 2 to 2.5 sides open on the tree.

DMcCoy

Should I get into logging question.
I'm not a logger but a nurseryman.  I do what it takes and it takes a lot more than 8-5.  8-5 is for employees.  For us spring is when you make $$$- 12-14 hr days 7 days a week for months, the rest of the year we lose money slowly.  We quit having employees a few years ago, it was eye opening.  We since have become hardened and lean, faster and more efficient.  Social life?  Hahhaha!  People have learned to not call us during spring.  We end up with more time off during the other part of the year.
Being self employed is like having a target on your back, ever increasing regulation, new "fee's" and increases to old ones.  If you do well some people will hate you for it.  Other's will say you are lucky.  Being a logger gets you hated by the tree hugger who lives in a wood house and wipes his butt with toilet paper.  Some family members will get envious.  I love what I do.  I can't imagine doing anything else.  I accept the long hours, hard work, and challenges.  I make mistakes, recover, and learn.  I get lucky on occasion.  I work hard and treat my customers and vendors fairly.  I pay my bills on time. I'm not the center of the universe and neither is any customer, though some need this explained to them.
Should you become a logger?  Yes or no, not maybe.

Bert

QuoteShould I get into logging question.
I'm not a logger but a nurseryman.  I do what it takes and it takes a lot more than 8-5.  8-5 is for employees.  For us spring is when you make $$$- 12-14 hr days 7 days a week for months, the rest of the year we lose money slowly.  We quit having employees a few years ago, it was eye opening.  We since have become hardened and lean, faster and more efficient.  Social life?  Hahhaha!  People have learned to not call us during spring.  We end up with more time off during the other part of the year.
Being self employed is like having a target on your back, ever increasing regulation, new "fee's" and increases to old ones.  If you do well some people will hate you for it.  Other's will say you are lucky.  Being a logger gets you hated by the tree hugger who lives in a wood house and wipes his butt with toilet paper.  Some family members will get envious.  I love what I do.  I can't imagine doing anything else.  I accept the long hours, hard work, and challenges.  I make mistakes, recover, and learn.  I get lucky on occasion.  I work hard and treat my customers and vendors fairly.  I pay my bills on time. I'm not the center of the universe and neither is any customer, though some need this explained to them.
Should you become a logger?  Yes or no, not maybe.
​

Very well put!
Saw you tomorrow!

BargeMonkey

Landing isn't very big but making it work, got to move my loader over now so I can load trailers and delimb.
I think I started making dust today... 🤦‍♂️ I'm not moving, jobs getting done, why they make excavators and bulldozers.

Every night fill the truck, I'm to the point I hear the word firewood and I want to scream, 😄 

mike_belben

Sell the entire firewood side to the firewood king at loanshark finance rates and send him all cull wood.  The time to be a developer is now now now.  Firewood can wait.  
Praise The Lord

BargeMonkey

Mike I just drive by the Firewood King and wave, he's had it pretty rough this yr, broken leg is the least of his worries right now. 

ehp

machines are moved to new bush as they are taking the rye off today so maybe just maybe we might cut a few trees this week, its fairly high so should be ok

Hogdaddy

Quote from: DMcCoy on July 29, 2021, 07:55:10 AM
Should I get into logging question.
I'm not a logger but a nurseryman.  I do what it takes and it takes a lot more than 8-5.  8-5 is for employees.  For us spring is when you make $$$- 12-14 hr days 7 days a week for months, the rest of the year we lose money slowly.  We quit having employees a few years ago, it was eye opening.  We since have become hardened and lean, faster and more efficient.  Social life?  Hahhaha!  People have learned to not call us during spring.  We end up with more time off during the other part of the year.
Being self employed is like having a target on your back, ever increasing regulation, new "fee's" and increases to old ones.  If you do well some people will hate you for it.  Other's will say you are lucky.  Being a logger gets you hated by the tree hugger who lives in a wood house and wipes his butt with toilet paper.  Some family members will get envious.  I love what I do.  I can't imagine doing anything else.  I accept the long hours, hard work, and challenges.  I make mistakes, recover, and learn.  I get lucky on occasion.  I work hard and treat my customers and vendors fairly.  I pay my bills on time. I'm not the center of the universe and neither is any customer, though some need this explained to them.
Should you become a logger?  Yes or no, not maybe.
So... you just thinking about logging to supplement your income, right? Do you have any prior expericence with the logging indusrty? Kinda of need more info... age, health, etc.... One thing for sure, do not pay any attention to what people think or say, cause it doesn't pay bills, and it just doesn't matter what others think. Only how you feel and how you can sustain your family..     Also, I couldn't work at something if I knew I was going to lose money. maybe for a few years getting started, but no way any longer. I can see working at something that I really love and not making much money, as long as my family and I had enough.
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

John Mc

Quote from: Skeans1 on July 28, 2021, 11:36:17 PM
The before treatment

The after

Quite a difference there, and looks as though it was nicely done. Can you tell us a bit about what your goals were for that piece?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Skeans1

@John Mc 
The goal for this patch is to produce the best available crop trees with 180 trees an acre. Next door is another patch I've done a few years back with quite a difference in wildlife vs this patch that has no life on the ground or light coming down.

ehp

Oh it might be raining out  :D  just a little . Thunderstorms , high wind and big hail for today and a chance of a twister but very low for that . Up north lots of forest fires and here it would be very hard to start a fire with 10 gallons of gas 

mike_belben

Dont forget your steel toe flippers and osha compliant snorkel Ed. 

Praise The Lord

ehp

She is pretty dry up here on a hill and it's all blow sand here . Cutting today with the 500i and 28 inch bar setup. I'm going to have to grow a bigger set as it so use to cutting with the lighter 400 .  It's fairly warm to so I'm sure I'm sweating a few fat pounds off today lol 

ehp

Barge, I'm going to steal your skidder picture and send it to my tree by law guy and tell him I got a different skidder , do you got enough bail money to get me out of jail and which phone number am I to use so I can get a hold of you once I find out which jail he is sending me to  8), only thing that will throw him off is can you make a new picture but with bigger trees as he will not buy that picture with those trees 

mudfarmer

Still wet here but drying up after couple of nice days, not skidding at my place just firewood, making lumber out of dwindling log piles and farm stuff.

Can't get pics to load due to poor cell service but am on another restoration/reclaimation/whatchacallit job. Hand cutting tag alder thickets from around an overgrown pond 3/4 mile walk back in the woods  ;D

Have been having a lot of fun with these jobs and hopefully the word keeps spreading and jobs keep coming. Gives me a predictable steady hourly wage and land owners get work done they can't or don't want to do. Competition seems to not exist.

Two of these jobs would have been a couple hours at most with a mulcher?? But then I would not have gotten the job. "No heavy equipment". Note to self: finish rebuilding the little Stihl 011

Edit
Got it

BargeMonkey

Blame it on covid, whatever how ever but parts are getting to be an issue. Called and ordered a tank, they said the beginning of Sept. I thought splash zone would do it but nope, 5 trucks all use the same tank and I grabbed the good spare with my fingers crossed. 

I can't find help, I work with another logger sometimes and his help just left him so he's behind. Flat out turning people away for wood. 

get every ounce of daylight and the next 4-6 in the darkness. ☝ That 648G3 has convinced me to buy a BIG tigercat. Nice machine but not what I need, not feeding a stroker. 
We can't have the woodsman's show in Boonville but they can have the fair 🤦‍♂️ Went to the empire farm show, ordered an 18 bale Kuhn accumulator system, they have a 15 in stock but they don't work right for loading a trailer. Again no help, just keep buying better iron and do away with the help. 

3 other farms here have all went this way in the last 2 yrs, you've got to be mentally challenged to run kicker wagons anymore. Went and watched another guy run his, he and his brother can do 1500-2k a day in a LONG day but 2 guys. 

I've been waiting to hand him a 30gr eviction notice from the sawmill for a while 😄 he just stuck his head up enough to peek out and got the sleep treatment from 60yds. Over run with them this yr, 5-6 a week not trying. 

I wasn't going to throw down on a new trailer till I knew I could get it in alot of jobs and in my yard, it's the way to go. 

We used to pour alot of them, the last couple years we have stayed away from concrete work, I got roped into this 30x40 which I've got to pour at 11. "It's square and the same height"... my grade rod determined that was a lie 😄. 

No its fine 🤦‍♂️... go back to work. 😄

Roxie

"Remove clamp to meet Jesus."

Oh!  That's funny!   :D
Say when

ehp

Barge, just order all new Tigercat machines , skidders, forwarders, feller bunchers , slashers and get at least 2 of each machine that way you got parts , ya its the same around here , no one wants to work and parts are dam hard to get 

barbender

Barge, barge, barge! Everything you do, now you're throwing in concrete pours too!? No wonder no one wants to work with you!😂
Too many irons in the fire

mike_belben

The borrower has been slave to the lender since King Solomon.   STAY AWAY FROM DEBT and keep everything durable, tangible, tradeable, especially fertile land.  There is a day coming when people will beg for work cheap. 
Praise The Lord

ehp

Timber prices are going up  around here. Pretty much every grade from what I have been told  and is to climb higher closer to snow . We're still not at NW prices but we are climbing and oh ya  I cut about 10 trees this morning  with the 500i and its sitting on the tailgate now. The 400 is killing trees after that 

BargeMonkey

Pain and misery.... 🤦‍♂️😄.... 44yds later. And 10 bags of small stone mix because he ordered short. 

I've probably done 100 ? Pads, this one ranks in the top 5 for misery but its done. Broken concrete trucks, sent me a rear discharge truck to pour along the bank, it wasn't a fun day. 
 I quit at 2am, asleep at 4, woke up at 7am in a panic thinking I slept in 😄 pulpman had enough on my other job and I'm slashing on the wet job. 

BargeMonkey

Quote from: mike_belben on August 06, 2021, 11:12:06 AM
The borrower has been slave to the lender since King Solomon.   STAY AWAY FROM DEBT and keep everything durable, tangible, tradeable, especially fertile land.  There is a day coming when people will beg for work cheap.
Mike once you are 7 digits deep the bank really doesn't want to come take your stuff 😄🤦‍♂️ ALL my irons paid for and I think we owe on 3 machines, in the grand scheme we sit better than most. Honestly my smartest move would be to finish these 2 jobs and go back on the boats part time, log for a tax write off, I'm getting sick of it. 

Old Greenhorn

Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

mike_belben

Nothin can run full throttle forever barge.  Not even you.  Get some rest man.  I know you know those roads with your eyes closed but i dont recommend it. 

;D
Praise The Lord

Thank You Sponsors!