iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What kind of oil for track lube? (Norwood Mills saw)

Started by NewYankeeSawmill, March 28, 2024, 11:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NewYankeeSawmill

I'm putting together my Norwood Mills 36v2 saw and it has these felt sweeper pads that run along the track. The instruction manual says to 'oil them regularly'...
I had an open jug of Rotella 5w40 synthetic I started soaking them in, but I'm thinking that's a bit pricey to use on the regular. Can I throw used (filtered) motor oil in there?  Bar and Chain oil? Any old 30-weight will do? I'm guessing it doesn't HAVE to be the expensive synthetic I put in the tractor?
Thanks.

- Kevin
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

WV Sawmiller

I use ATF to lube my rails and mast on my WM mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

barbender

Use ATF, or an ATF/diesel blend. Sawdust doesn't stick to it like other it will motor oil and especially bar oil.
Too many irons in the fire

chet

ATF on mine  :thumbsup:  That is, when I remember ta do it,  ffcheesy
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

terrifictimbersllc

I get cheapest ATF usually $20/gal now for example Supertech at Walmart.
Whenever I have used ATF from transmission/transaxle or tractor fluid change that's the best. 
You dont need to filter it.
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

NewYankeeSawmill

OK, so the used Hydraulic fluid from the Kubota tractor would be a good option?
Thanks for the advice!
Norwood LUMBERPRO HD36V2

SawyerTed

I've put ATF in a trigger type oil can.  It gets used on trailer hitches, bike chains and various other squeaky sticky rusty stuff where oil would attract dirt.  Oh and on the sawmill the little trigger oil can will give the mill 2 applications.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

jpassardi

Like TT, I keep used atf when I change it out, if none get the cheap stuff for lubing the mill.
LT15 W/Trailer, Log Turner, Power Feed & up/down
CAT 416 Backhoe W/ Self Built Hydraulic Thumb and Forks
Husky 372XP, 550XPG, 60, 50,   WM CBN Sharpener & Setter
40K # Excavator, Bobcat 763, Kubota RTV 900
Orlan Wood Gasification Boiler -Slab Disposer

cutterboy

I have always used WD40. I buy it by the gallon and use it in a trigger type spray bottle.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

John S

All of the WM techs that I have dealt with recommend ATF.  
2018 LT40HDG38 Wide

barbender

Regular hydraulic oil will still pick up more sawdust then ATF I believe. All you can do is try it and see how it works. 
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!