iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Keener Built Sawmill

Started by wscott, April 13, 2003, 03:19:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wscott

This is my frist post. Have been reading awhile and ready in joy the forum. Looking for anyone that has a Keener Built Sawmill are any other infor that anyone would like to give on this mill.
Thank to all.
You should always marry a ugly girl, when she leaves you, you want feel so bad.

Tom

Welcome to the ForestryForum, wscott.

I have never seen a Keenerbuilt mill but I've dreamed their design to death.  Many a night I've sat up straight in bed thinking that an overhead track would eliminate most of the damage to running gear that occurs from logs, trash and general board handling.

If it works then I'll say to myself "I knew it, I knew it, but a $ late again".  :D :D

I like the rigid frame and the overhead box can't do anything but add rigidity.  Stability might be an argument from other manufacturers but time will tell.

They will benefit from a longer and more powerful mill as they gain market share,  board handing might be a problem if they depend on the common drag-back system because the frame looks like it's in the way.  There are more ways to skin a cat though and they will probably come up with something.

While not saying it's the "cat's meow" I like the idea.

woodbowl

Now that a little time has went by, it would be good to know how Keener mills are doing out there in the field.

Does anyone own a Keener, know of one or what their advantages or disadvantages are? Thanks.  http://www.keenerbuilt.com/index.htm
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

JimBuis

I don't know anything about their mills, but it was surprising to see that there's such a company so close to home.  They look pretty good to me.  I wonder what the price range is.

Jim
Jim Buis                             Peterson 10" WPF swingmill

Tim L

wow,

overhead track never ocurred to me. Are they tough to load ?
Do the best you can and don't look back

Part_Timer

I got to watch them run all weekend at the KY wood expo.  I was ablel to look at 6 or so different mills from different companies.  they were not my favorite but they weren't at the bottom of the list either. 
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

eamassey

I'm working on an overhead track mill.  Stationary.  The overhead structure is 2 @ 18" x 35# x 30 feet WF beams.  One beam will have inverted angle on top, the other will have 2" flat on top.  The saw head will weigh in at about 1300 pounds.  The saw head is built except for blade guide system and band tensioning system.  I'm retired, but do some contract work--but hoping to avoid it for a while to get this mill finished.

I have thought that the overhead track system would give a lot of benefits.

To Tom, I don't think that a drag-back system is the way to go on a stationary mill.  It seems to me that everything needs to go perpindicular away from the log-- with a diverter (perhaps air cylinder driven)-- go down to a chain that takes slabs and sawdust out of the building-(parallel to log) away from operator, and with a motorized chain table to handle lumber (ties, etc.).

I worked in a commercial sawmill a couple of summers about 45 years ago.  I'm hoping that I remember some things.

Tom

I see the most efficient way to handle product as using what is already in motion.  That's probably part of what brought about drag-backs.  The head has to return, make it do something when it does.  It might not make for as compact an operation, but things have already been started moving.

I can see cants kicked to the side, but lining something up with a 1" board to pick it off of the cant and move it to the side will be a chore.

I'm interested in seeing what you come up with. :)

woodbowl

Me too! ......  I am amazed at the strength of such a small member over a long distance. A Mobile Dimension mill uses a 12" X 12" truss to support the weight.

The Keener mill has an extended rail support along the top, simular to that on a lift pole used on a 3 point tractor hitch. Two members welded side by side in this configuration has much more strength than I realized.

It makes me wonder just how strong an extruded member can be, with even more off set support. Sounds like a tech question doesn't it?  :P
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Thank You Sponsors!