iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl MS200

Started by hms11, February 12, 2020, 08:33:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hms11

So while I wait for a rear handle/tank for the 038 Magnum I'm fixing up, my Hydro buddy dropped off another neat little saw for me to play with. This one he says seems down on power so he thinks it is just worn out and needs a rebuild. I'm going to check compression and do a leakdown and see where we are at, along with a good crab cleaning and general once over. If it needs a set of rings or a piston, it looks like there are lots of options available. 

From my reading, it seems like these are a popular little saw, it is definitely light as a feather and I don't think I've ever handled a saw before with a horizontal motor. 

Any tips or tricks I should be aware of? I assume it's just a very tight package to work on due to the overall size of the saw. Do these saws respond well to  muffler mod or are they relatively free breathing already?

Al_Smith

I think actually the 020T and MS 200T were a more popular model of that saw .I have two of same .For their size I don't know of a more powerful saw .With some age the roller bearing mains have a built in fiber thrust washer that can wear out and allow some side slop on the crankshaft that will in time 
Cause the seals to leak .It's one of the easiest Stihl saws to work on IMO .A few years back OEM seals and mains were around 60 bucks ,well worth saving these little hot rod saws .

hms11

Thanks for the info Al,

I'm assuming I would need to split the case and replace that main bearing if that is the case? Will I be able to feel the side to side slop without removing the clutch or flywheel or do I have to tear it all the way down to check that bearing/thrust washer?

I plan on saving it pretty much regardless of what it needs. These little saws seem to be worth about $700 all day long around here for some reason so I can't see it reaching a point where it becomes un-economical to fix considering it still runs. So unless I come across some pretty catastrophic damage, which seems unlikely, it will be back in action soon. 

Al_Smith

Yes you have to split it to replace the mains but it is slip fit not heat shrink fit like most Stihls .If it's got some but not much slop you can get away just seals for a time which you just need to pull the flywheel and the clutch assembly.Generally if they are leaking the clutch side would be more apt to .

hms11

Well that's awesome to hear, I was very happy when the bearings in the 038 Magnum felt perfect, I was dreading splitting the case. If this little saw just slips together that's not bad at all. 

I'll probably pop the clutch and flywheel off tonight, I'll keep everyone updated on what I discover!

teacherman

Quote from: hms11 on February 12, 2020, 05:19:34 PM
Well that's awesome to hear, I was very happy when the bearings in the 038 Magnum felt perfect, I was dreading splitting the case. If this little saw just slips together that's not bad at all.

I'll probably pop the clutch and flywheel off tonight, I'll keep everyone updated on what I discover!
Have you determined it leaks? If the seals are good, might not need to go further than a set of rings. 
I have one of those with very little use. I like it a lot, although I rathe dread having to work on it due to the tight spaces. I did have to replace the carb which was a known issue, dealt with via a new carb. Ouch.
I always thaough if I wore out my 200Ts, I'd simply switch out the motor from the rear handled one, but now it seems these are coveted quite highly. 
Good luck on your project!

Thank You Sponsors!