iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Apple tree wood

Started by JustinW_NZ, October 24, 2012, 05:47:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JustinW_NZ

Anyone done much / anything with apple tree wood?
The orchard next door to me is pulling out all the trees and i have been turning them into firewood, but some large old stock caught my eye so i threw it across the mill and got this...

Anyone cut/dried/sold this stuff before?

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;
Woodmizer LT40 Super, Treefarmer C4D, 10ton wheel loader.

woodyone.john

fruit woods i have cut and dried but alas not sold yet!
Saw millers are just carpenters with bigger bits of wood

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: woodyone.john on October 24, 2012, 06:18:19 AM
fruit woods i have cut and dried but alas not sold yet!

yeah im not sure if theres a market around for this stuff or not.
I spose it makes for conversational pieces at least :)

did you give any of the fruit stuff a sand and oil or such?
Im thinking it looks a little bland but a cleanup and should make it nice.

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

WDH

Surely there are woodworkers there that would love to have it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Weekend_Sawyer

Wow, that one tooth was really off eh?  ;D

Looks like some good wood for small projects, picture frames and such.
...and of course to take the thread to food. The cut off bits make very nice smoking wood.  8)
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

POSTON WIDEHEAD

There is a guy up the road from me who makes bowls out of fruitwoods.
I've never had any fruit wood to give/sale him but he makes some nice stuff.

He gave me this Apple wood bowl. It has a crack in the side of the bowl which I like. Great character.

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Okrafarmer

Keep working on it, Justin. Plane and sand them, they'll look a little better. I think you'll find some of it is more figured than that, esp if you get into the heartwood of some bigger pieces. Those weren't heartwood, were they?
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

Operating a 2020 Woodmizer LT35 hydraulic for Upcountry Sawmill, Dacusville, SC

Now selling Logrite tools!

Writing fiction and nonfiction! Check my website.

isawlogs

I have made some nice cutting boards out of applewood. My sister in law had one in her back yard that she wanted out, I took it out and sawed it up, root ball and the four foot trunk. Had great character, but did not dry too straight, hense the cutting boards.  ;)
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

pyrocasto

I once got a 12"D 8' long apple log and it's some of the prettiest wood cut on my saw. I used to turn lots of bowls with it as it mills up very easy when green. When it's dry though hard as a rock. Saving my batch for a home projects since it's my favorite wood.

moosehunter

I have some applewood slabs on CL. I have sold 2 so far. I did not get much for them but at least they are not firewood!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

JustinW_NZ

Quote from: Weekend_Sawyer on October 24, 2012, 07:54:26 AM

Wow, that one tooth was really off eh?  ;D

Looks like some good wood for small projects, picture frames and such.
...and of course to take the thread to food. The cut off bits make very nice smoking wood.  8)

First cut into it on a just sharpened blade and i hit wire in the end  which made my set go mental :(

Thanks for the feedback everyone, perhaps I might list some on a local site and see if any woodworkers bite?

Cheers
Justin

Gear I run;

WDH

Be careful, David.  If you fill that bowl too full, some of the grits will spill out  :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: WDH on October 24, 2012, 10:01:59 PM
Be careful, David.  If you fill that bowl too full, some of the grits will spill out  :).

:D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Left Coast Chris

Apple has some of the highest shrinkage of any wood I have worked with.   Lots of warpage, issues with distortion around knots, splitting and associated loss.   If you just cut them you may have a fighting chance since we are going into winter.   Seal the ends real well, stack and sticker and keep out of the sun and dry as slowly as possible.  Don't get your hopes up for low percentage loss.  Hope yours turns out better then mine has in the past.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

Okrafarmer

Quote from: Left Coast Chris on October 24, 2012, 11:15:05 PM
Apple has some of the highest shrinkage of any wood I have worked with.   Lost of warpage, issues with distortion around knots, splitting and associated loss.   If you just cut them you may have a fighting chance since we are going into winter.   Seal the ends real well, stack and sticker and keep out of the sun and dry as slowly as possible.  Don't get your hopes up for low percentage loss.  Hope yours turns out better then mine has in the past.

oz_smiley no_no smiley_exclamation smiley_thumbsdown

Sadly, Justin is about to enter summertime, not winter.
He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. Psalm 91:1

JustinW_NZ

yip thats right, summer coming up here not winter - DOH!

Still not sure if theres much market for the stuff but maybe out of fun i will make a bunch of planks and see if i can dry them.

could make some trays to put the apple grits bowl on so none is wasted ;D

Cheers
Justin
Gear I run;

Okrafarmer

Y'all do grow some killer good apples down there, mate! Apple grits? Now that's a new one on me, but it sounds good.

JustinW_NZ

I personaly prefer the cider made from these apples than the apples themselves  :D

Gear I run;

SwampDonkey

"Apple sauce, apple sauce, apple sauce."  Major Burns in the mess hall of the MASH 4077. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

Cider is good, too.  :) And SD, there is something about homemade applesauce that so beats that yellow goo from the store.

SwampDonkey

It's all in the variety. I don't like sauce from Cortland for instance, some do. But there are far superior tasting varieties like yellow transparent, New Brunswicker,  and many others I like. Hard varieties don't cook up and froth as good. The old orchards here had crab apples that they preserved with cloves added. They were not wild crab apples. We had some here at the house, but they got old and started to rot.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Okrafarmer

I'm sure it makes a big difference what type of apples you use. Have you ever had sauce made from Gravensteins?

SwampDonkey

You betcha Okra, one of my favorites.  I had a senior moment and could not think of some other varieties at the moment. I intend to grab a bag of apples at the farm next week. :)

samandothers

What about drying some of them apples and make some fried apple pies?

Okrafarmer

Apple pies are great. Even better from special apples. Enough of these mass-produced Washington-state cheapos! (ok, I know some better apples are also grown in Washington, but they're not the ones on sale most of the time. What I mean is, down with cheap apples, up with the real stuff!)

How do you like THEM apples?

Thank You Sponsors!