iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bags or filters in dust collector?

Started by Brad_bb, September 03, 2020, 10:02:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

I'm looking at dust collection for my shop.  I suppose in need to make an actual dimensioned plan and consult someone to help size and optimize the ductwork and size the dust collector itself.  But I have a more general question.  A couple of dust collectors I've looked at are:

Some systems use bags and others use filters.  Which is better and why?  I suppose this is two questions actually.  Which filters better as this system will be indoors?  Which is easier to maintain?
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RussMaGuss

The main difference is that the bag is acting as the filter. I would go with something with an actual filter that has a crank handle to knock the dust off the filter pleats every once in a while. One big reason I switched to a cyclone was I had a little 2HP bag dust collector and when it got full when I wasn't paying attention, it filled my shop with an absolutely massive cloud of fine dust that made me evacuate for like 30 minutes lol With the g0862 I have, I haven't had that problem. I've always had good experience with grizzly and I know someone who is very happy with a big oneida like the one you posted here, so I think as long as it's a reputable brand, the only hard part is finding out how many CFM you need. How big is your shop area? Mine is 850 sqft and I have no problems with my 3HP grizzly even when I plane 20" wide slabs aggressively 

samandothers

Check out Clear Vue cyclones also.  It has been a while since I read some things, but filters get finer dust out.  Check out Wynn filters.  I have an old Grizzly unit with 2 bags and was looking to adapt to filters.

low_48

Bags or filters depends on what particle size each will filter and what kind of air flow you get. Filters have a lot more surface area than a bag. That's why those bags are taller, they're trying to get more surface area. Bags will get a layer of what people call "cake" on the inside and those are the super fine particles. You get better filtration with the layer of cake, but also less air flow. The super fine particles are what kill woodworkers. The particle size is so small they go right through your lungs and into your blood stream. https://billpentz.com/woodworking/cyclone/beginnnerscorner.php#fine_dust_risk

WWDave

Hello Brad,

I second the idea of Clearvue Cyclone.  I have been running one for almost 10 years and remain pleased with its performance.

Filters v Bags.  Definitely filters.  But there's more.  I recommend you construct a box that houses your filters such that the fine dust-laden air passed from the OUTside of the filter to the Inside.  The way they are usually designed to function.  You WILL overfill your barrel at some point and if you are exhausting your cyclone to the INside of the filters you will be hating life for a few hours while you dig out the embedded chips.  If you put the filters into an enclosure...easy peasy, just pull the filters out (cuz you bolted them into the enclosure through the filter flange) and stick your shop vac wand in there to clean out the filter box.  Carry the filter/s out side and blow them out with compressed are, brush them off, etc since they need period cleaning especially if you have a wide belt sander.  

For a CV cyclone I recommend (2) filters (in a box).  I also suggest you call Wynn Environmental and get the filters directly from them.  Specify whether you are filtering IN to OUT or OUT to IN...there are different filters for each application.  You want filters with a flange on one end and (if possible) closed on the the other.  The last time I ordered filters, they did not have any with a closed end available.  No problem...just stick a piece of thin plywood on the end with some caulk.  

On the CV website they have a forum I think...you can see members pics of how they did there set ups to get ideas.

dave
Turbosawmill M12-Auto

tmbrcruiser

I have a large system from Laguna, works well but. I second Dave's comment filters and on over filling the barrels then cleaning the filters. The system I have came with three 54 gallon tubs, I spend more time dumping the tubs than I do milling lumber. I would consider a large outside storage using a cyclone and returning the air thru filters back into the shop.
Once you get sap in your veins, you will always have sawdust in your pockets.

kantuckid

My main dust collector blows it out the wall where it stores in a plywood box or on the ground.
 No bags or filters as there's nobody to care out there beside my somewhat secluded shop? Location matters huh? 
Inside my ceiling mounted dust collector the filters catch and hold the dust. Ebay has yielded some great filter buys for that unit. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

farmfromkansas

I have a 3 hp cyclone DC in my shop.  Most of the time I just exhaust the air outside, w/o filtering.  Use the filter on cold days during winter.  During hot part of summer, busy with the farm.  Built a blast gate from plywood to open when venting outside, and just close it when using the filter.  A long cone cyclone works better than a short cone.  My 50 gallon barrel fills very rapidly when planing boards. I have a pile beside the shop from when it has run over the barrel and just blasted outside.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Thank You Sponsors!