iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbie has Sawmill questions

Started by OldGoat, July 25, 2014, 01:26:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldGoat

Hello, I'm new to Forestry Forum and new to the sawmill world. I have begun to look for a used mill and at this point I want a circular sawmill (I'm guessing this will stir up some debate as to why). I have found a Jackson lumber PM-B 460 its old and rusty been setting out a few years, owner said he used last three years ago. He hasn't come up with an asking price. So my question does anyone have any clue to what this mill is worth (I know condition is the biggy) It does have a large blade with replaceable teeth. It is PTO driven. I'm also looking at a Timber King m-22, about same condition smaller blade, same questions. Thank you for any help.

goose63

Hay OldGoat welcome to the Forum I am no help with the circular mill
You hold on a bit lots of guys here have them thy will be along sooner or later
We like pictures 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

mad murdock

Welcome aboard OldGoat!  A pic or two of the current mill would say a lot to guys wanting to give you an extimate on worth, as well as your location ,you can update that in your profile. 
Circle mills are good, but require more support equipment than a band mill. Give us a bit of back story on your plans and what you have to work with as far as support equipment, and you will get some very good feedback.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Deese

2004 LT40 Super 51hp w/6' bed extension
Cooks AE4P Edger
Cat Claw sharpener/Dual Tooth Setter
Kubota svl75-2 skidsteer w/grapple, forks, brushcutter
1977 Log Hog Knuckleboom loader/truck

pine

glassman_48

welcome old goat,
where are you from?  You might want to call the timberking factory and have them tell you about their machine, parts availabilty etc.   Good luck, keep us up to date on your progress

OldGoat

Hey thank you, I will try and get some pics posted. I`m in northern Indiana. My wife and I recently built a log cabin ( ok we watch the erectors put it up ) but we did most everything else,( ok we had a contractor do a lot too) we own a large woods that was logged a few years back but still a lot of timber, maple, Lots and Lots of tulip popular, some walnut. I have a barn  and blacksmith shop building  projects and Id like mill as much lumber as I can myself. I have couple of tractors one a loader to support this crazy idea.  Also been very fascinated with sawmills since I was a little kid. so that's the back story.

ddcuning

Welcome to the FF OldGoat!

My experience has been that a mill which has been sitting will require some...or a lot of maintenance to get it sawing right and I have been very happy with the fact that there are still new parts available for my Frick 00. My advice would be that you research parts availability on any mill you consider purchasing. I did not do this when I bought my mill but just got lucky that they still make parts for my Frick.

Dave C
We're debt free!!! - Dave C, Nov 2015

dgdrls

Welcome aboard Oldgoat.  Glad to here your looking for a circle.  I'm a big fan of them.
IMHO I would call Jackson and ask if they still support the PM B 460.  Price is a tough one,
All depends on condition, search thread by ddcuning, he has done a whale of job with his rebuild.
In either case you need a power unit perhaps your tractor can drive  the mill, how much HP you have to work with?

FWIW there is a thread related to a TK M-22 on the board also,but its not complete to date.

I'll add this also, depending on the type of sawing you want to achieve you could look at a Dimension type circle mill also.

You'll find the right circle mill just dig around a bit.

Best
DGDrls

21incher

Welcome to the Forestry Forum OldGoat. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

bandmiller2

Welcome OldGoat, the cold hard truth is old circular mills that need work are not worth a lot, they used to be before band mills. Today small time millers want bands and the commercial guys want the new stuff.  Different parts of the country prices vary, I'd say between $500.00 and $2500.00 depending on condition. The saw is the most important item if its inserted tooth  with available bits and shanks. A mill with power plant in running condition under cover with tools is worth the high end. Don't rush into any deal theirs more old mills around than you think. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Magicman

Hello OldGoat, and Welcome to the Forestry Forum.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

OldGoat

Thank you all for the great advice. I love this forum already.

sealark37

A commonly seen price for a dis-used circle mill in the Carolinas is <$2000, with power unit.  Dave knows about the need for parts replacement.  If your mill is no longer supported for parts, then you need to know a good machinist.  Regards, Clark

OldGoat

Gents, Having a little trouble getting some pics off my phone of the jackson mill hopefully post some soon, but here is a link to craigs list of the tk-m22. the guy said hes willing to trade and I offered up my 1967 international cub low-boy tractor, mower deck and plow. He ask if I was willing to through in some cash. From what you all are saying I may be getting the short end of the deal...????? thanks again for the advice.

Craigs list links not allowed.

drobertson

Battle for your price, sounds like he would take more if you gave it to him,  mill looks fair enough to me, carriage looks just a little on the light side, jmo
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Thank You Sponsors!