iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

making a

Started by coxy, February 19, 2018, 08:36:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

loader trailer  what do you guys think about taking  a 10wheeler and cutting it off behind the cab bending the frame to make the hitch  where would be a good place to put the loader on the front or the back I'm planning on using a 4cylender john deere motor out of an old 440 for the power plant just need to figure out how to mount the pump off the motor  the standard two stabilizers should be ok i would think  it will have 2 bunks so i could put some of the good logs on it for separating them or if a little firewood gets in the way i would like to be able to move it with the skidder to put it in bad spots or to move it with the logs/firewood to another spot on the landing     not sure what loader I'm going with the old 110 or the older 120 i already have a 110 and can get a older 120 for 5 grand    

teakwood

Isn't that engine a little bit big for this purpose?  I guess it's what you have laying around?

We sure want to see pictures of that project. I always had thoughts on something like this 
National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

thecfarm

No matter which end you put it on,you will want it on the other end at times.  ;D     I would kinda think on the end. But if you want to haul long wood you can't.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

What are you gonna tow it with?  Pintle hitch, goose, 5th wheel?  

If you put it at the back it cant load the tow rig with unhitching and driving behind the trailer.  And the rear axle has to be biased further to the rear which trails nice but takes more swing clearance for the truck to back in.. Long pin to axle length.  

If you go front mount then the stabilizers can lift the rig on and off the hitch without cranking landing gear.  

I built an F350 uhaul into a bumper pull trailer and the biggest lesson i got was how much flex there is in the  main members at the bend where you kink the frame to make the hitch.  It took me 10 inches of C channel and a heavy plate to get this under control.  Before that the two legs wanted to twist up really hard at those elbows.  One clockwise, the other counter clockwise.  I didnt have enough frame to work with because it was cut flush at the cab and box bulkhead so i had to  sister channels to the main frame.  It did come out good tho.  Ill upload some pics so it mskes more sense. 
Praise The Lord

coxy

sorry it will be pintle  hitch and towed with a kw900 dump truck just to the job site it will not be an everyday over the road thing  the motor that runs the loader know is a 671detroit so the little jd 4 banger will be a down grade   and ya what ever end its on will be wrong story of my life 

BargeMonkey

I know where something sits already built that's 90% of what your looking for, loader already mounted and set up to tow, I can inquire about it.  I'm pretty sure I can even get you hooked up with a "special purpose commercial" plate also 😂 

Skeans1

Almost sounds like the mule trains they run in South Dakota with the loader on the back of the truck 

mike_belben

Found em.  When you look at pintle trailers they always have really tall beams and a full depth chainbox AND a tall header beam most times.  Its to counter the tremendous amount of twist from being kinked in.  

Note that i had channel joists across the top and still needed some angle iron spreaders on bottom the keep the main chanels from twisting and boinging.  The span is pretty long so i put the tension strut too.  Wish it had a torque tube.  Still lots of body roll.  

Praise The Lord

lopet

That's quite a project Mike. Use what you've got, just about my style.

Coxy, depending where your axles are positioned. A 110 or 120 is quite a bit of weight to have on a tongue and you probably are not gonna have enough frame to make a heavy tongue if you cut it behind the cab.
Not sure how you wanna use it but when you have in the back you can swing it all the way around.
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

coxy

Quote from: BargeMonkey on February 19, 2018, 10:13:50 PM
I know where something sits already built that's 90% of what your looking for, loader already mounted and set up to tow, I can inquire about it.  I'm pretty sure I can even get you hooked up with a "special purpose commercial" plate also 😂
ill send you a pm tomorrow or call you  

Maine372

ive seen two of those around and they have both been tongue mounted. the triangle tongue gives you a place to mount the motor/pump/tank and you can load the truck too.

coxy

this will not be towed every day its only going to a landing loader the only time it will be towed is from job to job 

Skeans1

I've got to wonder if you wouldn't be ahead to just buy a truck mount Prentice or get a track mount shovel like out here.

starmac

I know with my friends grizzly loader behind the cap, it has the potential to lift the front of the KW off the ground when he is loading a large log. I am wondering just how wonky a loader mounted on a trailer will get with just two outriggers, if the trailer is not hooked to anything.
Old LT40HD, old log truck, old MM forklift, and several huskies.

coxy

a Rockford hand clutch bell housing  should work to mount the pump on  no 

lopet

Don't the deeres run radial piston pumps at the front of the crank ?  Why bother with a bell housing ?
Make sure you know how to fall properly when you fall and as to not hurt anyone around you.
Also remember, it's not the fall what hurts, its the sudden stop. !!

coxy

i don't have the pump   and i don't think the radial piston pump will have the get up go  meaning you will only be able to use one function at a time lift the boom then move the grapple  

mike_belben

Gear pumps are cheapest.  A bell will atleast give you the block half of your pump mount. Something to cut and weld on
Praise The Lord

coxy

i found a tandem 4 bunk pup trailer for 1500 wonder if that would be the way to go just have to put loader pump and power plant on and done 

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Riwaka

What are Tanguay - rubber tired knuckleboom log loaders like? (cat engine) in the older models. (4 stabilisers)

Has anyone ever put a 120 on the back of a JD bulldozer? Figure out how to hitch/ remove the 120 to allow the dozer to still to be used for dirt work or haul the close in logs with. Have more weight in the base than the pup trailer (probably no so tippy), tracks don't get flat tires, hydraulic already there, can move itself, pull a stuck log truck, skidder etc. No rotek problems on a dozer compared to a worn out track/ wheel loader, blade for clean up, water flow directing etc

Demountable log crane - need a dozer the same weight as the truck probably.

Demountable Crane LAXO - YouTube

coxy

i don't think the hydro pump on the 350 would run a loader  and if it didi think you could load the truck faster by hand  :D

Thank You Sponsors!