iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old saw chains

Started by bandmiller2, May 31, 2013, 07:16:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bandmiller2

I don't know about you guys but I can't bring myself to throw away a worn out chain.The same goes for files and circle mill bits I keep thinking I'll use them some day. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Al_Smith

I've got some old chipper chain that I have no idea what it fits that I've kept for no reason what so ever .

Every so often ,last fall for example I must have repaired 20 to 25 loops of damaged chain most of which came from tree trimmers .Broken cutters ,bent drivers etc .Either cut them down for shorter loops or put in repair links .

smwwoody

i save them in a scrap bbl  to help fund the company Christmas party
Full time Mill Manager
Cleereman head rig
Cooper Scragg
McDonugh gang saw
McDonugh edger
McDonugh resaw
TS end trim
Pendu slab recovery system
KJ4WXC

sawguy21

I put stuff in the 'don't know what I'm gonna do with it but don't throw it out' pile until I'm forced to clean it up because I can't find anything.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

deerslayer

If you're saving a worn out chain, then it isn't worn out enough, eh? When I get done with a chain it goes in the scrap bin but no one is going to say, "Hey, that has a little more life in it."
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

bandmiller2

I keep thinking I'll use them for stumping, but I never do, its agenst my religion to get near dirt with any chain. I must admit a worn out chain with short cutters goes through pine like grass through the goose. Frank C.

T Welsh

We go through saw chain pretty fast, I throw them into the beer barrel when they get to far gone to play with. The pounds add up eventually and we take them to the scrap yard and cash them in and on the way home I stop at the beer distributor and buy a case of everyone's favorite beer ;D We do not waste anything around the shop,everybody likes scrap day 8). Tim

thecfarm

I file mine right down so the cutters are pointed. I get every drop out of my chains.  ;D I do have a chain or two I keep for cutting those clumps of white maple stumps in the grown up pasture. Most times I have to sharpen the chain half way through the stump job.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

bandmiller2

I do think dumb squirrels hide stones in those clumps thinking their nuts. Frank C.

scully

I put up a thread a while back about getting a new bench mount sharpener , I saved for that day ! I mean I saved every chain I ever ran ! I always figure even the worst chain would serve well in a disaster cut situation ! I actualy put an edge on an old 32" that was doomed and flushed a big walnut stump with it . The cut was beautiful flush to the ground ,glad I saved that chain !
I bleed orange  .

mad murdock

Save Edge will resharpen a file for about 1/2 or less the cost of a new one, and a resharpened one is as good as a new one as far as cutting ability and durability goes. According to them a File can be resharpened 4 times or more before it is ready for the scrap heap.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

GAB

The last time I had to open up the house for a larger window, fearing that I would hit hardware, I sharpened a well used chainsaw chain and and went for it, after turning off the power.  The chain did the job as it's last usage before its permanent retirement.  Gerald
W-M LT40HDD34, SLR, JD 420, JD 950w/loader and Woods backhoe, V3507 Fransguard winch, Cordwood Saw, 18' flat bed trailer, and other toys.

thecfarm

I've been very lucky with those dumb squirels. But what dumb animal put 20-30 years of dirt between the trees.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

deerslayer

Quote from: mad murdock on June 16, 2013, 08:19:18 PM
Save Edge will resharpen a file for about 1/2 or less the cost of a new one, and a resharpened one is as good as a new one as far as cutting ability and durability goes. According to them a File can be resharpened 4 times or more before it is ready for the scrap heap.

I've been around a long time but never heard of re-sharpening a file. Hmmm, something new every day.
Too many chainsaws, not enough wood.
Stihl, Husky, Craftsman, Mac, Homelite, Poulan. Some live here, some just passing through.

beenthere

Need to pack 25 files and ship them to Save Edge. That is a big investment in files.
Seems buying another good file when needed will be the cheapest route.
Hard to imagine that the work to align a dull file in a machine to clean and re-cut or re-stamp the new sharp edges would be less than buying a new file. But I couldn't find prices for getting the pkg of 25 files resharpened. Suspect the freight alone round trip would be $50 or more, but do not know that.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

bandmiller2

Saw files are quite cheap if you buy them by the box and handle them properly. I've heard of chemical sharpening but know nothing about it.Alot of folks put a file in a holder and forget to turn it only using 1/3 of the file. Frank C.

Dave Shepard

That's why I like round file holders, you naturally use the whole surface. I wouldn't think it would take that much to mail 25 files. A flat rate USPS box wouldn't cost much. I don't know how much a regular round file is, but the double bevel ones I use are getting up there these days. When my chains get to the point that they are pretty short, and they get rocked or something, I toss'em. I already have too much junk hanging around. :-\
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Thank You Sponsors!