iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What are the significant change years to the LT40 Line of Woodmizers?

Started by MikeySP, January 27, 2019, 08:16:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MikeySP

Hello.

I am looking at a 93 Woodmizer LT40HD and trying to figure out when significant changes occurred in the model line-up. From what I am reading, modifying an older mill to newer specs is not so simple and trading it in is a common recommendation.

So when and what were the significant change years or the LT40 lineup and what were the changes?

Thanks. -Mike

Southside

Sometimes it's not just the dates, but the particular revision.  Best thing to do would be to get the serial number, and revision, it will be something like A.01 or B.03, etc and call the folks at Wood-Mizer in Indy, they will tell you everything they know about the history of that specific mill, along with what you can or can't do to it as far as stock upgrades. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Magicman

My understanding is that there were significant changes made in late 1997.  I know that my 1998 model is vastly different from the same 1997 model.  I can not speak to earlier or later changes.

Ditto the revisions that SL spoke about.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

Mine is a 97 model, must've been a late one as it's nearly identical to Magic's '98.
Too many irons in the fire

MikeySP

I did get the serial number from the seller and plan to call tomorrow morning. Do I need to call him back and ask for a revision number? I would think that the serial number will take the folks at HQ to all details including revision. 

Is there a thread that shows "intelligent" mods that have been "hommade"? One such mod that comes to mind, is the spring that one gentleman put on an older LT to improve raising speed and easing the load on the motor. 

47sawdust

Yes 1997 was a big change year.Get it from the horses mouth and call WM parts for a detailed explanation.When I was looking for mine that year was a determining factor if I wanted to add on.Mine was a standard mill and I have added significant up grades to it with ease and lots of money.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

uler3161

I believe there were other somewhat large changes a few years prior to 1997, but not sure when. My mill is a 1989 model, and from photos I've seen of other mills, I think shortly after this were some changes.

1. At some point, I believe cut height was increased. I think to 36". My 1989 is only 30".
2. The height (and I think feed) systems were changed to hide some of the pulleys. I remember something about a lawsuit due to a kid getting hurt, but I don't know if that was the main reason for this. Unfortunately, it was really a step backwards because being able to rotate the height pulley by hand for fine adjustment is important. The neighbor had bought a newer mill and was complaining a lot about not being able to "hit his mark".
3. I believe at some point they reversed the way the height gauge works. I know I've seen photos of the gauge decreasing in value the higher up the mast you look. On mine, it increases in value. I think that change was to keep the height gauge marker at a fixed point, whereas mine moves. That change is a good idea since cutting large logs on my mill requires you to either be tall enough to view the mark, or you need to climb up on the mill to see it. Would be nice to not have to do that.
1989 LT40HD, WoodMaster 718

Dan

Thank You Sponsors!