iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Buying Timber

Started by Autocar, June 16, 2014, 08:23:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Autocar

Been in a spiral down fall for two or three months trying to buy some summer time logging jobs. So Friday I had a appointment with a fellow about some timber he says I am going to bail hay so come closer to evening. I get there around four thirty and there sets the tractor and baler in the feild. He's wound tighter then a eight day clock because his tractor locked up and it wouldn't move. So I figured out the left brake was stuck so I take the seat off and the inspection plate on the drive axle and release the brake then unhook the linkage so he dosen't use it by accident. He's happyier then a school girl with a bag of candy and starts bailing hay telling me to go on to the woods. I get back to the house and he's putting away the last bails. Still happy  :D I tell him what I could pay for them and he says I will think about it  ::) ! I figured I had this one in the bag, so its a new week I wonder what it will bring.
Bill

WDH

Unfortunately, it ain't over until the fat lady sings. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

treeslayer2003

Quote from: Autocar on June 16, 2014, 08:23:58 PM
Been in a spiral down fall for two or three months trying to buy some summer time logging jobs. So Friday I had a appointment with a fellow about some timber he says I am going to bail hay so come closer to evening. I get there around four thirty and there sets the tractor and baler in the feild. He's wound tighter then a eight day clock because his tractor locked up and it wouldn't move. So I figured out the left brake was stuck so I take the seat off and the inspection plate on the drive axle and release the brake then unhook the linkage so he dosen't use it by accident. He's happyier then a school girl with a bag of candy and starts bailing hay telling me to go on to the woods. I get back to the house and he's putting away the last bails. Still happy  :D I tell him what I could pay for them and he says I will think about it  ::) ! I figured I had this one in the bag, so its a new week I wonder what it will bring.
happens all the time........i cut about 50% of what i go after, i figure thats pretty good.

OH logger

not to out do you bill, but I forgot to tell u this one on the phone today. that landowner I bought from today told me they talked about charity in church yesterday so he really wanted to sell me his trees and not the other guy(who everyone knows is really well off). I thought that meant it was  a done deal ...until he says that he still wanted to give the other guy one more chance to up his price.  :o I guess money talks and bull^%#^ really does walk >:(
john

thenorthman

Not to totally derail this or anything,

But how often do you folks follow up on the well Maybe I'll have to sort it out and have a thinks on its?

Seems like I never get any of those... of course I've never bothered to touch back with any of them.  So far haven't needed too.

Feels like I get about 1/3 of my bids so I don't worry about it much.
well that didn't work

treeslayer2003

Quote from: thenorthman on June 17, 2014, 12:29:02 AM
Not to totally derail this or anything,

But how often do you folks follow up on the well Maybe I'll have to sort it out and have a thinks on its?

Seems like I never get any of those... of course I've never bothered to touch back with any of them.  So far haven't needed too.

Feels like I get about 1/3 of my bids so I don't worry about it much.
i figure they would call me if they liked what i said............
i very much prefer when they call me any way, chances are they already know what they want.

Autocar

If it's run of mill timber  I will check back when I need work but if it is reaily good long bodyed trees that are big I will get back with in a week. Here lately all I can say they have bark on them but nothing great to get me excited. I go though a slump like this every summer then by fall Iam stressed out worrying if I will get it all cut before it gets to wet to work.
Bill

treeslayer2003

yep i go thru those too........seems its all or nuthin in this bness.

Ken

Finding enough timber to work year around in all weather conditions is one of the reasons I need to have an ally with an industrial partner.  Although we cant blame landowners for being slow to make up their mind it is a pain when trying to plan the season.  I still get excited over every prospective job even though only a fraction amount to anything.
Lots of toys for working in the bush

underdog

Wish one of you or a portable mill was close 37872

BargeMonkey

Had a landowner turn down a stack of 100's the other day. Kinda *pithed me off. Once I pull my bridge you cant ever access the logs. He said he will "think" about it. Good luck. Ive got more wood to cut than I can handle, dont have time for people without common sense. I get 1/2 of what I bid on, I tend to get alot of wood because of our excavation company, built quite a few driveways and ponds for logs.

cutter88

I used to call my father inlaw all up set that I can't buy timber, he's the master of buying timber! He always tells me " Cody you my knock on 100 doors before signing 1 property and that's just how it goes!
Romans 10 vs 9 
650G lgp Deere , 640D deere, 644B deere loader, 247B cat, 4290 spit fire , home made fire wood processor, 2008 dodge diesel  and a bunch of huskys and jonsereds (IN MEMORY OF BARRY ROGERSON)

CX3

I probably get 1/2 maybe 60% of what I bid on. 

I was supposed to look at some timber last week, well I told the guy I was leaving on a mission trip to Alabama and i would look when I got back.  He said some other guys were coming to look as well.  I said please dont make a deal until I look, is that ok?  Oh ya you will get a shot, he says. 

The day I get back I call him.  Well bud I made a deal with so and so.  Great. 

Whats meant to be will be, whats not is not.
John 3:16
You Better Believe It!

Autocar

CX3 my wife says to me all the time [ If you was ment to have it you would ] .
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!