iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Compression 041

Started by kenskip1, February 08, 2004, 11:33:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kenskip1

First off I would like to thank the forum members. I have picked up much usefull knowledge.
Can anyone tell me what the compression should be on my 041? It runs great however the resistance pulling the rope is very hard. Also what RPM is this saw supposed to turn?  This saw fits me well and is well balanced. I keep it in perfect working order.She is a real screamer. (The saw) Also does this saw have points or electronic ignition? I think it was made in 1974. Any other 041 users out their?
Stihl The One
Stihl Going Strong
Stihl Looking For The Fountain of Middle Age

beenthere

Mine is still running strong after buying it new in 1975.  If it ever hiccups, I think I will buy a new one. Has been 'old faithful' for a lot of wood cutting every year. 20" Windsor bar is original, and survived a few 'bad' pinches. Been jointed twice. Grease the roller in the tip occasionally. Flip the bar between each chain change. Run two chains to one drive sprocket. When the chains are worn out, get two new and a new sprocket. Great saw. To my recollection, the saw has never needed carburetor adjustment. Was told not to expect that if I bought a second, smaller saw. So I have stuck with the powerful 041 Farm Boss. 3-4 pulls when cold, starts after that on idle with one pull (when not forgetting to switch to 'on') ;D

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jokers

041s are known for longevity with a small amount of care, don`t let yours be spoiled by air leaks. Check all your hoses and connections regularly.

I don`t know what the factory spec for compression is on this saw, but I know that one in good shape that I sold a couple of years ago pumped up to 175psi. I was surprised because that`s pretty high for a saw. Max no load rpm is around 11k, not a real screamer by todays standards but a good cutting saw just the same.

Russ

Blue9R

- the resistence pulling the rope is very hard -

Recently,I ran across a posting on another forum for the same problem. It turns out the pull cord was too short, only partially filling the pulley.  What happens is that the mechanical advantage is lost, as a proper length pull start cord winds up in the pulley & provides a larger diameter or "gear ratio", that is easier to pull.

I had to chuckle, as I never paid any attention to starter rope length. But the principle is about as basic as "water always flows downhill".

The full cord length for a Stihl 044 is listed as 37 3/4" before the knots are tied, so I would just guess that approx. 30" of cord should pull out of an 041 recoil starter.

Just a suggestion for you to check out.  Good luck!

Mike

Thank You Sponsors!