iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ug-lee log contest.

Started by hackberry jake, April 27, 2014, 10:36:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

YoungStump

Wow! Glad to see I'm not the only one that gets to tackle ugly logs.

Echo Enterprises 45HD2 production series band mill, Cook's Edger, sawing mostly pallet cants, rr ties, and grade lumber.

backwoods sawyer

Ugly logs can make some real nice furniture wood

then there is the old wooly mamoth who was ugly to rotate

and the flying elephants foot who was ugly on the owner wallet

an ugly log contest needs to have more then one catagory and lots of food prizes  ;D
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Magicman

Sometimes you get a whole load of ugliness.   
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

I kinda like to look at ug-lee logs. but I REALLY like to see them opened up. Than the ug-lee turns into beautiful.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

MM, do you get anything out of those? I have a handful of them and it's not real hard to just let them sit.

Allan

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

The exquisite beauty of the heartwood is transparent.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

PC-Urban-Sawyer

Quote from: Magicman on April 28, 2014, 08:27:51 AM

Sometimes you get a whole load of ugliness.

Looks sorta light to me...

Hmmm... Maybe add a bit of hide and see if you can DRUM up some more business???

Herb

mesquite buckeye

I like this idea. ;D 8) 8) 8)
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Den-Den

I believe Magicman has won this contest.
You may think that you can or may think you can't; either way, you are right.

Magicman

Since no Walnut log can ever be ugly, I guess that this one has "character".  ;D

Texas Ranger

I have heard the myth that ugly logs are attracted to certain millers, birds of a feather, and all that!!!  8)
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Texas Ranger

I will, however, openly admit that y'all turn out some stunning wood from those ugly logs.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Don_Papenburg

MM bring them clear center logs up my way.  I need some of them to make stumpkins.  Now that I have people wanting stumpkins I can't get a hollow log.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Delawhere Jack

Walnut.

And cherry.

These both ended up yielding some nice wood. Sadly they both had iron poisoning....

Magicman

The iron poisoning is obvious at 7:00 on the Walnut log.   ;D

ozarkgem

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on April 28, 2014, 06:29:11 PM
Walnut.

And cherry.

Looks like you are milling in the burbs. Did the neighbors come and watch?

These both ended up yielding some nice wood. Sadly they both had iron poisoning....
Mighty Mite Band Mill, Case Backhoe, 763 Bobcat, Ford 3400 w/FEL , 1962 Ford 4000, Int dump truck, Clark forklift, lots of trailers. Stihl 046 Magnum, 029 Stihl. complete machine shop to keep everything going.

WDH

I cut an ugly one today.  A log in the shape of a question mark.  I guess that the question is "Should it have been sawn or cut into firewood"?  Time will tell.

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Bench?  Who knows.  I just thought it was a cool shape.  Maybe someone will fall in love with it, Looks like it is sold to Dave Shepard for $300  :D :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

It has a Chinaberry look??

hackberry jake

Kinda looked like Cherry to me. I like that pivoting log loading board. Is it patented?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

MM,

Yes, chinaberry.  Ever seen a straight one?   ;D.

Jake, yes, I have the patent.  I can send you the plans for just $300  :D. 

Thank You Sponsors!