iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Question for Lucas mill owners

Started by oakiemac, December 12, 2015, 04:19:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oakiemac

I was looking at getting a Lucas dedicated slabber for slabbing and cutting wide beams. However I'm now leaning towards getting a 6" swing blade mill and the slabber attachment along with the planer head. My thoughts are I could use the swing blade as a back up mill to my current one plus I would have the slabber which I need. I then could also plane the wide dry slabs with the planer head and offer this as a service to others that need their slabs planed.
so here are a few questions; will the 6" mill have enough power to operate the slabber? Is the dedicated slabber better at slabing then the attachment?
Does the planer head work well?

Any other thoughts or comments are very welcome.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

fishpharmer

oakiemac, I have a 618 Lucas mill with the slabbing attachment. I can only answer your first question about the adequacy of power.  The 18 hp V twin briggs and stratton engine has plenty enough power for the slabbing attachment.   The slabbing attachment has a 50 inch bar for the 618 mill.  I think the 8 inch mill jumps up to a 60" slabber.  The dedicated slabber I believe is even wider, maybe 72", not certain.   Click that green and yellow rectangle that says "Left Coast Supplies" on the top left of this page to find out more specifics.  I would like to have a planer head, I have read good reports about it here on FF.  Hope that helps. 
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

sigidi

Okiemac, I've had the 6-18 as my first mill, it has now problem slabbing, in fact it has faster chains speed than a slabber on a model 10. The gearbox on a 6-18 puts 3500rpm on the driveshaft, the gearbox of the model 10 puts 2200 rpm at the driveshaft. So the chain runs around 33% faster on the model 6 versus model 10. Saying this, both do a great job. I also use the planning head, it works a treat, handy little addition to any sawmilling arsenal.

I think if you went just with a dedicated slabber, you wouldn't have as much flexibility. I often regret selling my 6-18.
Always willing to help - Allan

oakiemac

Thanks for the info-much appreciated.

I definitely need to add a slabber so I think the lucas might just be the answer. Now I just need to get it ordered. 8)
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

DDobbs

What is the cost of a new blade for 8-30 Lucas?

I see aftermarket ones but no Lucas ones.

Dave

EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

sigidi

Quote from: DDobbs on December 15, 2015, 06:30:06 PM

Dave

Not sure what it would work out for you over there Dave - give LCS a ring (advert up the top  ;) ) they'll put ya right
Always willing to help - Allan

Grandedog

Quote from: DDobbs on December 15, 2015, 06:30:06 PM

Dave
Howdy,
   We have our website set up so that if you're looking for Lucas parts, you have to register your mill first. The way we have it set up, once you're registered only parts for your model and variation will come up. We only sell OEM parts from Lucas for their mills. The current price for the 8-30 blade is $150.00. Any Lucas owners out there reading this, here's a link to register your mill http://leftcoastsupplies.com/lucas-mill-parts-registration/
   We sure would like to hear from all the folks who have purchased over the years. When we took over the North American Distributorship from Bailey's, they wouldn't share any of the Lucas Mill serial number, and customer information with us. Like I said previously, it sure would be nice to hear from folks. Even if you bought your mill from Bailey's, you had probably talked to one of us.
Regards
Gregg
Gregg Grande
Left Coast Supplies LLC
1615B South Main Street  Willits, CA 95490
888-995-7307  Ph 707-602-0141                   Fax 707-602-0134  Cell 707-354-3212
E-Mail  gregg@leftcoastsupplies.com   www.leftcoastsupplies.com

DDobbs

Thanks for the replies I don't own a lucas.
I have sold my band mill to upgrade.
I was just looking at the Lucas mills.
That was one cost that I couldn't figure out.
  Dave
EZ Boardwalk 40
Ez Boradwalk Jr.sold 11/7/2015
Stihl 650 Stihl 290

fishpharmer

Grandedog, I will register my Lucas on the site.  Thanks
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

Thank You Sponsors!