iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Things that make me mill happy, and things that don't!

Started by Nate Surveyor, April 22, 2007, 05:09:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

This first one makes me mill happy:

This one does too, (same tree) 36" butt, and 32"  dia at 16.5'. Southern Yellow Pine.

It took me a bit to load onto the mill, but here she is, after the first cut:

Then, this one made me mill sad:

I hit the first 2 nails fast, and took off all the teeth. So, since I liked the log, I sawed out the nails, and placed a new blade. Then, started up, and slowly went through the next 6 nails pretty good. It was a tree that someone had nailed boards to, so that they could climb the side of the tree, probably for a deer stand.

I think I should earn a persistance award, for destroying the teeth on 2 blades, on one log!

:D

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

DanG

Yep, ya need to invest in a metal detector.  The cost of re-tipping those two blades would go a long way toward the price of one.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Nate Surveyor

I have a metal detector. In fact, I have 2 of them! Schonstedts.

They only pick up ferrous metal, (magnetic metal, like a magnet sticks to).

But, I'd prefer one made for logs.

N

Furby

Nate Surveyor

Yes, I know it. And if turned up enough, AWAY from the metal around where I mill, they would work good. Twouble is, I made 2"x2" oak strips that go on top my bunkers, and they have deeply countersunk screws in them. This places METAL at the bunkers. Now, I admit, I SHOULD have checked the log where the bunks were not (in the verry least!), but, I had to ask myself, "What would Mr. Bean do!" (By the way, did you know that idiot is an engineer?)

If you want to know who I'm talking about, go to youtube.com, and search for "Mr. Bean dentist". That has got to be a classic!

Nate

oakiemac

I got one of them metal detectors but it don't hardly pick up a nail unless it is within 4" of the surface of the log. Most of the time it ain't worth using unless I know there is a good chance of metal in the log.

As someone else once pointed out, the best metal detector is a new blade or new set of teeth. ;D
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

solidwoods

Log wizard III from Rockler $99.
Glad no one got hurt.
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

Engineer

I have a CST metal detector, like your Schonstedts, and I make sure the log is not on the mill when I check it. 

Thank You Sponsors!