iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Air Drying covers

Started by Woodslabs, February 16, 2015, 09:15:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodslabs

Hi all,

When air drying lumber i find it a pain to tarp and un-tarp stacks when it is raining.  Has anyone ever used something like this?

http://uccoatings-2.myshopify.com/collections/stackwrapper-air-drying-system

I would build my own.  Have a waterproof tarp for a roof and mesh on the sides for airflow.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Mike
check out www.woodslabs.ca

beenthere

Put a good rain-proof cover on top that extends out for a good overhang, and leave the sides open. Rain won't hurt much.
i.e. like a mini roof that is weighted or tied down so it cannot blow off.

The mesh on the sides might just slow down good airflow through the stickered stack and cause mold problems, and not good air drying conditions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Seaman

I agree with BT somewhat, a hard roof is much easier to deal with than tarps.
However, the side netting is more for sun protection than rain. With a stack of lumber, you don't worry so much about checking on edges so much I guess, but with slabs it can devalue the entire layer, cause it's one piece of wood.
Check out Logboy and SCSmith post for professional photos of how slabs should be dried, oh yea, Tule Peak, he just makes me want to quit ! Nice to have such knowledgeable folks on the
FF !

FRank
Lucas dedicated slabber
Woodmizer LT40HD
John Deere 5310 W/ FEL
Semper Fi

brendonv

I visited a mill where they had just built a large building. They used a hard roof, and large overhangs with mesh.  Said it worked great. Mesh actually somewhat stopped the wind blown rain from getting though.
"Trees live a secret life only revealed to those that climb them"

www.VorioTree.com

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Vorio-Tree-Experts-LLC/598083593556636

Drying protection

Please Note, that StackWrapper is meant to be used on a properly stacked and stickered lumber stack, with a plywood or other hard top(not included) on the stack.   The Stackwrapper goes over the  plywood top and is staked to hold it down,  Weight is added to the top of the stack as it would without the Stackwrapper. But in this case goes on top of Stackwrapper.   The weight is not to hold down Stackwrapper but to properly weight the wood during air-drying.

The mesh top is a closer weave that the sides.  A solid tarp would trap moisture. Sides of stackwrapper are the same weave and material as the Curtain sides of t-sheds in large sawmill operations. Sides of Stackwrapper are linked together and can be hooked and unhooked as needed to let more air in... without taking the whole thing off.   Both are made of Shade-Dri mesh lumber drying cloth.  Shade-Dri products are meant to protect from the elements during air-drying while still allowing air flow.

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

StackWrapper is a good product indeed.  However, be careful with any wrap  or technique to slow drying that you do not slow down drying too much, as you will then get mold or worse.  For that reason, sometimes all that is needed is to wrap the ends (stops end checking very well) and one side, not both.   Of course, a roof that sheds water is needed 100% of the time.  Summary statement:  When air drying, do NOT "set it and forget it."  Inspect it often to catch problems before they become huge.

With the buildings mentioned that had this same material, oftentimes the mesh is hung like a shower curtain so that it (the mesh fabric) can be opened or closed depending on the weather and the MC of the lumber.

How is the snow in VT?  Even though spring is almost here, it sounds like New England has some terrible weather this winter.  We only have 8" on the ground and 10 F in Wisconsin this afternoon.  Normally we have 18 days below zero, but we are already at 28 and a few more forecast.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Woodslabs

Hi,

With regards to air drying. I understand why you would cover the ends of the stack but whey would you cover one side?  Wouldn't you want both sides open depending on which side the wind is blowing from?
check out www.woodslabs.ca

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sometimes the stack will be drying too fast--high wind, thick lumber, etc.  So, you need to slow down the drying a bit.  Covering both sides may be too much, and then it gets moldy, etc.  So, one side is often enough.  OK?
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

Drying protection

Thank you Gene for your comments. The Stackwrapper comes with directions, specifying all of that.  The benefit of Stackwrapper is that you can control moisture loss depending on your local conditions, beginning moisture content, etc.  Again it's in the directions....In the beginning of the drying process, you may have the sides up, or one up and one down, they clip up. Also one needs to make periodic checks of the lumber.  It is indeed a process, not a set-it and forget it.
One has to be interested in the wood drying process.  Also your plywood roof would overhang the stack so the mesh is never supposed to be tight to the stack of wood.   StackWrapper like any tool in your shop should be used correctly following directions and proper air-drying techniques.

Thank You Sponsors!