iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Off Grid Toilet?

Started by stavebuyer, October 04, 2020, 08:11:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

stavebuyer

I am converting a 12x24 yard barn into a "cabin" for occasional use. No electric or water available and probably won't get real  frequent over-nite stays as its only 20 minutes from the house. Having worked in the woods most my of life a folded paper towel in my back pocket and I figure I am prepared, but the Mrs maybe not so much. Any input on portable or composting solutions? I really don't want to go with conventional because of the cost of septic, collecting or hauling water, freezing pipes etc.

Don P

Do a search for sawdust toilets for one way.

mike_belben

5 gallon bucket, half full of sawdust with a lid.  Keep a toilet seat next to the woodstove.  Do your doody, put lid on, shake bucket around.  Thats it.  Dump it out next day.
Praise The Lord

DPatton

You both would appreciate something like this. 

TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

doc henderson

it is best to keep the liquid out of a composting sawdust toilet, if she can go in nature.  the # 2 can go onto a layer of sawdust, and then after sprinkle enough to cover.  a Dr. I know likes the finer dust, and he does not dump until full, or if leaving for a while.  covers the smell.  and he has a toilet seat that fits the bucket somehow.  you could build a box over the bucket with a top that hinges to remove the bucket, and a toilet seat mounted on that.
Mike, I like the shake and bake idea,  "and I helped!"
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: doc henderson on October 16, 2020, 10:45:50 PM
  you could build a box over the bucket with a top that hinges to remove the bucket, and a toilet seat mounted on that.
Doc, would that be a "pilot to co-pilot" or a "pilot to bombardier"? Oh wait, it's a single seat, so just s solo flight I guess. (You had to know that picture would pop into my head.) ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Texas Ranger

Then there would be the cat hole.  For temporary use.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dessy

I have a composting toilet it's a nature's head it's been really good 

doc henderson

so if most men pee 6 times a day and there are about 100 million adult men in the USA age 15 to 65.  if most low flow toilets use 1.6 gallons of water.  we would save 3,500,000,000 gallons of potable water per year if we went wee wee outside. :)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on October 17, 2020, 09:41:42 AM
so if most men pee 6 times a day and there are about 100 million adult men in the USA age 15 to 65.  if most low flow toilets use 1.6 gallons of water.  we would save 3,500,000,000 gallons of potable water per year if we went wee wee outside. :)
But not everyone can step off the back porch.

doc henderson

well it is an estimate, and why I "cut it off"  at age 65.  can you just shoot it over the rail?   8) 8) 8)   :)

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on October 17, 2020, 01:45:18 PM
well it is an estimate, and why I "cut it off"  at age 65.  can you just shoot it over the rail?   8) 8) 8)   :)
Don't know if you were asking me, but, I am happy keeping my shoes dry.

doc henderson

not going to answer that question, but I will take that as a no!   :D :D :D.  how bout under the rail...  rubber boots... oh well.  have a good day.   :)

WV Sawmiller

All this outhouse posting reminds me back in the day when you were high society if you had a 2 seater outhouse. I never understood that. I didn't want to be in there alone let alone with company but hey, that's just me. ::)
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!