iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Strawberry season is here!

Started by Patrick NC, April 30, 2023, 06:11:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

My wife planted 6 strawberry plants in raised beds about 3 years ago. They sort of got forgotten and neglected and now have taken over a 25 foot area around the boxes. Looks like this year is going to be a bumper crop. There will be enough to make several jars of preserves and probably freeze some too. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Ron Scott

~Ron

JonathanPace

Strawberry season is ending here in NZ; thankfully, our Mandarin season is kicking off!

newoodguy78

Those little nuggets of red deliciousness are a sure sign of summer coming. 
Little trivia they're the only fruit with the seeds on the outside. They average about 200 seeds per berry. 

sawguy21

8) We won't see them for a while yet but my mouth is already watering.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Downstream

I'm a few weeks away here on my patch, but flowers/buds point to a great season this year.  The frame is the beginning of my cage construction to try and mitigate the squirrel/bird theft this year.  Now that I am in town I'm more limited with my rodent control methods.

EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

newoodguy78

thecfarm

You sure do have small hands.  :D
I have to wait until late June.
There is a You Pick not far from me. I worked there for a summer.
My Father and me tried to grow some. Mostly my Father idea. I thought it was just as easy to pay someone else to grow them. The birds would walk the rows and peck each berry.  >:( Don't mind sharing, but go ahead and eat one, not wreck each berry. Then something was eating them. So, my Father had a great idea of setting a leg hold trap. Yep, worked great, caught a fox. He went round and round in a 3 foot circle and killed everything in that circle.  :(
The berries plants went somewhere after about 2 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Downstream

Nothing better than pick a few, eat a few this time of year.  Are yours June bearing or ever bearing?
EZ Boardwalk Jr,  Split Second Kinetic logsplitter, Granberg Alaskan Chainsaw Mill, Stihl 660 and 211, Logrite 60" cant hook, Dixie 32 Tongs

Patrick NC

They are ever bearing. They do pretty good until about mid July and then they slow down. Usually pick back up in September until first frost. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

Thank You Sponsors!