iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

One last trip home

Started by Patrick NC, June 16, 2023, 07:43:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Patrick NC

Leaving in the morning to go to my childhood home one last time. Most of you know that my father passed last fall. We closed up and winterized the house and my mother went to live with my youngest brother in Buffalo NY. The decision has been made to have an auction to sell everything and then sell the house and land. Auction is going to be in July so I have to go clean the place up and meet with the auction company.  It will be a tough trip because it was the only place that my parents called home for almost 47 years. I'll keep you posted on how things go. 
Norwood HD36, Husky 372xp xtorq, 550xp mk2 , 460 rancher, Kubota l2501, Case 1845 skid steer,

customsawyer

They are tough trips. My mother passed a couple of years ago and one of her wishes was to have some of her ashes spread over her parents graves back in CO. I was honored to do it but that doesn't make it any easier. My garage is still full of her stuff. One day I will get the strength to go through it. Magic Man's awesome bride made me a coconut cream pie for the project a couple of years ago. Well they happen to be my favorite and I knew eating it would bring back memories of the ones my mother used to make for me. Well I knew I wasn't going to be able to eat it and keep my eyes dry. All I could do was express gratitude and tote it in the house for later. I know it made me look like a rude host but I couldn't muster the strength to enjoy it with out tears rolling down my face.
All I'm trying to say is that we are with you and know the road you have in front of you.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Chuck White

Patrick, you are taking on a necessary and wonderful task!

We all have, or will do such things in our lives, you'll have times that you'll cry, times that you'll smile, and times that you'll just stand there and look, it's all part of the task.

Just know that the Forestry Forum is here for you!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

barbender

I haven't had to walk through what so many of you have already. I've watched all of my friends go through this stage, but my folks had me really young so I'm at the tail end of all that. I obviously don't envy you Patrick for the task you have, but I think there is also something healing in going through the stuff and belongings, even though it is really tough. I'll be thinking of you and praying for you as you close this chapter, friend. 
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

Stay strong Patrick and know that you have your FF friends supporting you.

Thank You Jake and yes, I made sure that PatD read your reply.  :)

Sadly we have closed both of our Parent's homes plus a very dear Aunt, and as said, it ain't easy.  PatD and I have reached the point where the next "closing" will be ours.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

Patrick I have had to do the same thing as well but for my grandparents place.
It's tough .
I have my Dad's tool box , that he used at work as a brick/block Mason.
It's in my tool room. When no one's around I sometimes open it and it brings back good memories for me.
Hope all goes well 
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

doc henderson

bitter sweet!  end of a chapter.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

I guess it was fortunate that my folks sold up the family farm and moved to town early. So the current house in town has no special attachment for me as I never lived there. I have great memories of growing up on the old farm, and some regret that I didn't take it over. But those decisions are way in the past now. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Resonator

You'll get through it, it's all part of life. Life is chapters in a book, one finishes, and then we get ready for next one to come. Take the time to enjoy and remember the good parts of the story along the way.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

thecfarm

It's hard when life marches on.  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SawyerTed

Have been through it with my in-laws passing and partially along with Dad after mom passed in 2021.

It's isn't easy because siblings are grieving too.  Take your time, appreciate the experience and feelings-both yours and others.  Grief makes people say and do things out of character sometimes.  

Remember that grief is the pain of "unfinished love."  That's true for people, and can be true for a home place and its trappings.

May God be with you and your family.  
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

moodnacreek

I must of been in camp when the posting appeared . Leaving the old home place was the toughest, other than burying loved ones, thing I have ever faced and it has bothered me ever since. Patric; try to concentrate only on happy memories .

NE Woodburner

@Patrick NC - I went through this when Dad passed about 15 years ago. One thing I will caution is it can be a bit overwhelming if there is a large amount of "stuff". Dad kept a lot of things in his old barn and it was stuffed to the limit. He had a difficult upbringing and was poor, so when he finally accumulated a few things he couldn't bear to part with them even when they were worn out or out dated. So, we threw most things away. I wish we had taken more time because there are a couple of things I wish we had kept. I did keep a few things that have no real monetary value, but mean a lot to me...

Hopefully a lot of good memories will help you get through this difficult task.

Thank You Sponsors!