iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New Guy

Started by uncle john, May 01, 2007, 10:50:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

uncle john

Hello. I have been reading various posts on the Forestry Forum for a while and, needless to say, I have found an incredible amount of information here about sawing and forestry in general. The first thing I realized was how much I have to learn – which is fine with me! Continuing education can keep you from getting woodworm of the head board, or so I've been told.
My family and I presently own property in both northern and southern Wisconsin and we are relocating to our northern property permanently very  soon (or so we hope). I work as a home inspector and a construction consultant for a small architectural firm in the Milwaukee area at present and plan to continue that work, for a time, after we move as well. That being said – our plans include organic farming and custom sawing at our northern property. I have two grown sons (and a third who is nine) who want to be a part of this, as well as two nephews that already perform "non-invasive" logging, with a pair of  Percherons, for local property owners. We think that a portable sawmill would be a very nice fit.
Also, I'd like to thank Stumpy for letting my middle son and I see his sawmill in action and recommending the Forestry Forum to us.
Anyway, I doubt I'll have much to post for a bit; I have a lot of background reading to do here.

Thanks,
John
Opportunity is missed by most people because
it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.
-  Thomas A. Edison

woody1

If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Fla._Deadheader

Yeah, Welcome. Lots of us don't have much to say, but, that doesn't stop us  ::) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

DanG

Welcome in, uncle john!  Glad ta have ya aboard. :)

There are plenty of construction type questions coming up all the time, so I'm sure you'll have opportunities to help out.  There's always room for another opinion or idea. ;)

There is lots of interest in horse logging, too, so oil up the camera and get ready to send us some pics of your nephews and their team. 8) 8)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Tom

Welcome to the forum, Uncle John.   You'll be in good company up there.  Lots of Wisconsin members.

beenthere

Welcome to the forum. Pull up a stump, and keep us posted.  We like pics, and some of the Percherons pulling logs would be great for starters. Also, some of your land and trees would be great too, with a story or two.

Don't be afraid to post. Stumpy is a great one and can help introduce you to the WI chapter of the FF.

beenthere
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Jeff

Welcome to the Forum uncle john.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

crtreedude

Harold, are you saying you managed to post more than 7,000 messages about nothing. Wouldn't that be Shakespearian? you know, much ado about nothing...  ;D
So, how did I end up here anyway?

Fla._Deadheader

Fred, maybe you should create a poll, to see if others feel the same way ???
  ::)  ;D ;D

Besides, DanG is STILL waiting for me to be right about SOMETHING  ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,uncle john.I always enjoy seeing horses logging.but it still takes a good logger to know how to cut the trees without making a mess.Good luck with the sawmill.I take it this northern property does not have a house on it yet?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Burlkraft

Welcome Uncle John....

Glad ta have anudder member in da Wisconsin Chapter...... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

uncle john

Thanks for the welcome everyone. I will send pictures as soon as I can get my wife to scan them.
thecfarm, I know you are right about skills required for logging (and anything else in life, for that matter).
My wife's family are getting set to celebrate five generations of family farm ownership this summer and part of their family business was (and is) logging. I'm a little old and fat to fell trees at any rate, I think – so I think I'll leave the younger and more knowledgeable crowd.
-  Thomas A. Edison

Robert Long

Welcome Uncle John!

Looking forward to hearing from you often

Robert.......in Ontario, Canada

WDH

Welcome Uncle John,

Are you going to join that nefarious Wisconsin Chapter ???.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Don K

Welcome to the Forum Uncle John.     Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

OneWithWood

Welcome, Uncle John.

You are never too old and fat to fall trees or run the mill.  Many of us here fall into that category.  Just find some classes on falling (felling, take your pick), enroll yourself and the younger fellows if they have not had formal instruction in the fine art of using a chainsaw.  Once you all complete the four cutter courses you can pull rank and be the supervisor  ;)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Greg Cook

Welcome, Uncle John, glad you could be here. I too would love to see some pics of those Perch's draggin' logs. Glad you found us, and hope you'll stay a while.

By the way, do you like GRITS ?

Greg
"Ain't it GOOD to be alive and be in TENNESSEE!" Charlie Daniels

uncle john

I think I figured out how to add pictures to the gallery. Anyway, if you folks are curious you can see a couple of pictures. I hope to scan and add more later of lake Superior, fishing, etc.

John
-  Thomas A. Edison

brdmkr

Glad to have you with us.  Sounds like you have a good plan in place for your move North.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Nate Surveyor

Yeah, I don't have nuthin to say either, but I say it all the time!

Even for a nit wit like me.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Woodcarver

Welcome. The Wisconsin contingent is growing.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Thank You Sponsors!