iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Seeking old Jonsered help please... what model is this?

Started by DIYQuestionguy, January 08, 2024, 02:03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DIYQuestionguy

Got this old Jonsered saw I'm trying to get running right.  It starts and runs great for about 10 mins then dies.  Then it won't restart.  It starts after it sits for a while.  I'm thinking it's the ignition module.  I'm not a small engine guy but I believe the old coil has been swapped out with this SEM module...  Does anyone know what model this is?  I think it might be a 49, but not entirely sure.  Also, anyone know where I can find a replacement module for this saw?  Thank you in advance.  I can provide more pics if helpful.   

donbj

I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

chet

Possibly a 52E,  need a better pic of the entire saw.
If my memory serves me correctly the 49SP came with a Pagani  magneto ignition.  Early 52's came with points with the later 52E's coming with a SEM module if that helps.

I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

donbj

You're memory still functions :D. This 49SP has magneto and points.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

chet

At least sometimes  :D :D :D  Then his saw would probably be a 52E.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Spike60

It's a 52E. 52's had a black top like their 70E big brothers. 49's had the red tops as shown in Don's pic.
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Treker23

I had a 1978 451 EV that looked similar, but was maybe a little newer. Older J.s are collectable but not by lots of people. I loved my Jonsered it cut 5 to 8 cords yr for over 40 yrs. I recently traded it for some other salvage. It got brake & and  handle broken by a log with a limb.. Thought about restoring mine but have 4 higher priority projects.

Before you order a module advise checking it is not fuel related. After the first few yrs EV was reliable. Good Luck

DIYQuestionguy

Thanks for the replies!  Here are couple of more pics in hopes of identifying....

chet

Spike60

Yes, she's a 52E. 451 that trekker mentioned is a different animal. Smaller chassis. Has a black top, but the starter doesn't extend into the top cover like the 49 and 52. And the 451 is the only all metal saw that I can pull out of the cellar that doesn't feel heavier than a modern saw. Very light for the era.

The 49sp and 52e do share quite a few parts,  which can come in handy when you have a project on your bench. 49 is far more numerous than the 52. Top ends were different, yet pistons can be swapped.  52 was closed port with a 2 ring piston, 49 open port, with single ring. There are single ring pistons available from VEC and perhaps others. Carbs are pretty much the same. Side covers, mufflers, mounts, handles, oil stuff.  I've got a couple of each, and I don't notice a performance difference. Open vs closed port isn't a new debate by any stretch.  :)
Husqvarna-Jonsered
Ashokan Turf and Timber
845-657-6395

Thank You Sponsors!