iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Norse/Igland or Farmi/Wallenstein style?

Started by FTD, January 02, 2020, 09:18:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

FTD

I have definitely decided to go with blade style winch for the JD 2032r.  Size like a 350 or maybe 400/450 winch. Now the question is do I want a shorter blade that will flip up, Igland/Norse style or a blade that will allow me to get the wood what seems considerably higher on a Farmi/Wallenstein style?
I am planing to hang the logs by the chain from the notches for that purpose. I don't like the idea of hanging the logs by the cable/brake.  
Potentially, the Norse style will go over stumps better.  I'm not running a skidder though so I am not anticipating being in with the stumps...
Looking for thought from users, hopefully some have experience with both.

Thanks!
Karl

Hilltop366

I would mention that horsepower rating is not everything when looking at a logging winch, looking at the specs of your tractor and comparing it to my tractor I would guess that even the 350 might be a bit too big for your tractor. I will mention that I rarely run the winch with the engine over 1300 rpm (considerably less than 35 hp), more power is not usually needed but tractor weight and lift capacity is.

The reason I say this is my tractor though only a few horse power more than yours (35 hp) weighs 1000 pound more and the drawbar lift is a 1000 pounds more than yours. I bought a second hand Norse 390 for my tractor (similar size and specs to a 350) and find it to be the upper limit for a winch size for my tractor, I think the 290 would be better suited for my tractor.

I think a 350 will be pushing the upper limits of you tractor and will limit your lifting capacity, hopefully you are able to look at the winches in person to compare and not just go by hp rating.

Better yet putting the winch on your tractor before you buy would be best.

Happy winch hunting!

thecfarm

I think that 350 is kind of big for your tractor. Well no kind of about it, it is. Or I think it is. I doubt it would even fit your tractor.
I know that 450 would not fit on your tractor. I run a 450 on my 40hp NH. My tractor is more than twice the size of yours. I don't think Norse makes a small one that you need. I have been to shows and have seen other brands that would fit on your tractor. I am pretty sure that 450 would not even fit on the wife's 30 hp NH. The back is too small for it. Don't be so concerned about the pulling power of a winch. Even if you could winch it to you, you could not move the log. Get one that will fit your tractor, on the low end. Watch them sales men too. I have a 6 foot bush hog on my 40hp tractor. We went looking for a small one for the 30hp tractor. Salemans tried to tell me that 30hp would run the 6 foot bush hog. ::)  Yea,down hill I told him. I have one steep place by the house. That 5 foot will try to pull the tractor sideways. I about imagine what would happen with the 6 foot bush hog behind.  :o That gets mowed going downhill only. Wife will not mow it.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

47sawdust

Farmi makes a model 290 winch.My brother has owned his since the late '80's.He uses it on a Kubota L2250.It has served him well with no problems.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

Wallenstein, Farmguard makes one too and there are others. Don't be concerned about needing parts. I worked mine hard since '93. Than a life of ease just doing my firewood since 2000. Looks like the sprocket is starting to wear on it.
Hilltop366 is right about rpm. Tell you the truth I really don't know what I ran mine at. I go into the woods at a certain rpm, never touch the throttle and use the winch. I use to winch in some big logs,3 feet across was normal and some bigger. Than I would bring the rpms up. But now with what I winch in, I rarely touch the throttle.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

g_man

Like Sawdust mentioned I also have a Farmi JL290 on my 30 hp L3010. Weighs 5000 lbs with loader, bucket grapple, loaded tires, chains, and winch. Seems like a perfect match to me. With the small tractor I keep it on the tractor roads and I keep the roads clear of slash so a fold back blade is a non-issue for the way I use it. It's not a skidder. I have used it in the woods since 2002 and tractor and winch have served me well. Check my gallery - There are a ton of pics of what it can do.

gg

FTD

G-man,
How often, if ever, do you wish the blade was hinged?

g_man

I don't think that I ever thought about it at all. I did weld a 2" receiver in the blade so I could pull my little trailer and I have a bolt on 1 1/4" receiver for the wood splitter.

gg

FTD

hilltop and thecfarm,
I'd love to lay eyes on a Farmi.   Any idea how to find a dealer locator?  I have scoured the internet and found a few dealers, none near me. But I can't even find a US Farmi site or any kind of a dealer locator...

g_man

Northeast Implement in NY -north west I think. They have all things Farmi and stock winches and parts. Good people to deal with. Just call.

https://www.northeastimplement.com/farmi-winches

Also most tractor dealers can get Farmi winches and will give you a quote. At least Champlain Farms in VT will. Even have some in stock.

gg

FTD

I found NE Implement.   I couldn't figure out if they were dealer or distributor.  

FTD

I'm in SE PA or Central NH.  NEI is a little far for a recon mission.  

g_man

If you ever come up 93 to waterford, VT (next to Littleton, NH) someday you can try mine. I have a JlL290 and a JP501

gg

FTD

Hilltop366

Quote from: FTD on January 02, 2020, 07:39:46 PM
hilltop and thecfarm,
I'd love to lay eyes on a Farmi.   Any idea how to find a dealer locator?  I have scoured the internet and found a few dealers, none near me. But I can't even find a US Farmi site or any kind of a dealer locator...
Best I can tell you is call around your area(s) tractor dealers and ask what kind of logging winch the sell.

bulldozerjoe

i bought a used fransguard 4000, for my tc45 new hollands, works great
New holland tc 45
Fransguard 4000
Sthil 021-028super-029-066

thecfarm

Them things are hard too find!!  ???  Wallerstein did have a place that I could contact them.

47sawdust

FTD,
If you have a local buy/sell/swap guide you might place an ad seeking owners of 3 pt. hitch logging winches to look at.CL or an active chainsaw shop might be another source.Winter time AG shows are another possibility.Good advice given here.I wouldn't go bigger than a 290 on your present tractor and be careful,your tractor looks like it could be tippy.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

FTD

Looking at the specs and photos on the Farmi site there is not a significant difference in size or weight and both are rated for cat 1 3PH.  Lots of videos online showing a 351P on tractors similarly sized to mine. I know I haven't seen them in person, but 44lbs I'm not going to worry about considering capacity.  The pics attached show them on the same tractor and the only real size difference is the "flaring" of the sides of the blade.  The ability to add a lower pulley seems a big plus.  Just cause the capacity is higher, doesn't mean I'm gonna try and use it!   The faster cable speed could be a huge advantage if used properly.  

Does anyone have any factual/anecdotal evidence to support the 351P being a problem?

Basically, I am looking at 6000-7000lb arch

Ed_K

I finally had to repair my Tajfun 9k winch. The pull rope to engage the clutch wore out ;D. My winch is 15 yrs old an I haven't had a problem with mechanical parts, other than a spring that holds the control for free spooling the cable. In the end I think you'll use the cable to yard the hitch especially when you get to a spot where you have to release the hitch to get across an obstacle.
Ed K

g_man

I have no first hand experience nor do I know your tractor, but I have read of two problems that people have had putting winches on small tractors. The connection point for the lift arms are higher on bigger winches that reduces the height you can lift it. I have heard people say they can't lift high enough to hardly get the logs off the ground. The second is the pto shaft angle. With a winch the shaft is very short. The bigger winches have a higher pto and makes a very steep angle. Even steeper with the winch is lifted. So check that stuff out before you buy.

You made a comment on winch cable speed. The faster winch is geared higher. That means your tractor has to produces more torque to winch in the same load on the faster winch. So the slow winch will actually pull more because your small tractor is the limiting element on max pull not the winch.

gg

FTD

G-man,
Thank you.   I was aware of the top link issue, and the PTO angle.  And the gear ratio and torque.  I got the impression from a few posters that the winch was physically too large and wouldn't fit. 

tamarackman

To lesson the physical strain on your tractor, maybe consider a hydraulic winch. Most of the 3 pt winch manufacturers offer a hydraulic option.

FTD

I'm not currently worried about the size of the tractor.  It is a CUT that is built on a medium frame.  It has 24hp at the PTO and handles a 5' bush hog just fine.  So long as the angles are there for full functionality, I believe I am ok.  Now, like I said, I haven't yet laid eyes on the winches I am interested in and my beliefs above may be misplaced (wrong).  

My current question was more about the winches with the hinged blade vs fixed blade. The fixed blade have longer distance from the top of the blade to the ground.  This will give me a higher starting point for lifting the logs.  ASSUMING I am getting full lift from the two different styles, that will give me more log off the ground and more weight on the axle.  Both of these are good within reason are they not?

gspren

If you, or anybody is near York, PA Jan 7,8,9 consider going to the Keystone Farm show, this is not the big farm show in Harrisburg which is mostly for livestock shows and spectators, the show in York is daytime only for 3 days and has lots of equipment/dealers and in the past I know I saw tractor winches. Wood Mizer will have a saw mill set up outside. Admission is free and it is considered the farm show for farmers, mostly equipment.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Thank You Sponsors!