iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Antivirus

Started by Magicman, November 03, 2010, 09:20:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

My McAfee expires in a couple of days.  What's better, cheaper?
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jeff

Microsoft essentials. Its free.  Thats what I am running on two machines, so far so good, and as the other three that have the paid stuff expire, I will switch them over as well.

http://www.microsoft.com/security_essentials/
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

iffy

I have also heard good reports about AVAST and AVG. Of course, most free products will frequently urge you to upgrade to their paid product.

Radar67

I'm using AVG Free 2011. It does not nag you to upgrade, it updates the software and virus definitions regularly and it works.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Norm

I use Microsoft Essentials also. Works great, it's free and no nagging stuff about buying.

Magicman

McAfee wouldn't give up without a fight.   >:(

I am now "Essentially" secure.   ;)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Warbird

beenthere

Also on MS Essentials. Has been good to work with.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Wow,  It's not my imagination.  My boot up time is now only half of what it was.  I had wondered if that McAfee was bogging me down.  It was continually trying to do something.

Of course, I really don't know how this thing works.  I just want it to work.    ;D

tyb525

LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

Tony

well I've tried to download this and we're having all kind of trouble smiley_furious
TK1600, John Deere 4600 W\frontendloader, Woodmaster718 planer\moulder, Stihl MS461 Stihl 036 & 021 & Echo CS-370
"You cannot invade the mainland United States.  There would be a rifle behind each blade of grass."  Adm. Isoroku Yamamotto ( Japanese

Warbird

Magicman

Just what goes on behind the keyboard and screen is beyond me.  Something may be better than something else ??  I guess if it stops the bad stuff it's OK.

I mentioned earlier, this laptop feels like it had a load removed from it.  I just can't believe how much faster it is.   :)

Raider Bill

My internet explorer started running real slow the other day. This PC is built for speed so I ran all the anti virus, malware, cc cleaner, system mechanic programs. Nothing worked.
Rest of machine ran great.
Tried Mozilla again and although it doesn't seem to like my favorites from IE it runs fast so I guess I'm using mozilla now. I do like the instant spelling checker. We'll see I guess.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Magicman

I agree about the spell checker Bill.  That feature alone is worth the switch.

Magicman

Quote from: Magicman on November 03, 2010, 01:22:30 PM
McAfee wouldn't give up without a fight.   >:(

I thought that it ran out in November, but they were just wanting me to renew early.

It tried one last battle.  I got an email stating that AcAfee would be auto-renewed.  (I guess that I had blown by this option when the product was initially purchased.)  I went online and finally got to their "Live Chat" option.  After some conversation, I got an email stating that the auto-renew was canceled.  The last battle arrived in the mail yesterday.  The credit card that initially purchased the McAfee had expired and they needed a credit card update.  :D  This letter had been mailed before my Live Chat.

Anyway, maybe the Wicked Witch is Dead.   :)

Buck

MM, I too went thru the months of expiration of Mcaffee. Finally I guess they gave up and I honestly think they crashed me....took my laptop in for a flush and got norton added without a flush and all is good now.  There is a lot of truth to that wicked witch comment.
Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Magicman

I believe that the "Anti Virus" companies are busy infecting us with viruses that only their product will prevent, and the other companies are busy trying to figure each other out.   :-\

Wrangler55

Anti-Virus & firewall software are necessary evils these days. I use AVG, Zone Alarm, Spybot Search & Destroy, Microsoft Essentials, Linux utilities like IP Tables, shorewall, and anything else I can add that doesn't slow down the computer too much.  On some older machines I have that won't run the newer Windows products, I use one flavor of Linux or another. My server runs Mandriva.  The laptop I'm using now is running Windows 2000 and Office 2000. It's due for an upgrade pretty soon.  It's going to be another Linux machine soon because after Microsoft stops updating it's products using the Internet with it is impossible.  

IP Cop is a linux release that works great with an older computer to set up a hardware firewall for your home network. My computer is an older computer that came with Windows ME. I added extra network cards.  My cable modem attaches to one, my wireless router attaches to another one and the third attaches to a non-wireless router for the bulk of my home computers and XBox. The wireless router is on a different IP block from the wireless router so traffic on one, can't be seen on the other. The wireless is encrypted and only a few IP's are allowed to connect to the Internet. None of the auto assigned IP's route to the Internet.  The default gateway goes to lala land. When I'm away from my home network I use SSH to connect to my home network and it sets up a vpn to let me do everything with all the traffic from my laptop to the Internet encrypted. The digital video recorder I put together is the only computer on the main network. It never surfs the Internet and it's connection is just to keep the TV program list current. If you really want to see how your Internet connection is under attack, run IP Cop (it boots from a CD or USB) then check the log after a few hours.  You'll see hundreds if not thousands of queries to your system with an details on each exploit your system has been subjected to. Plus you'll see where they originate. IP Tables is a linux utility that will allow you to block any ip or range of ip's.  A reverse DNS query will tell you where any specific ip is issued.  I block all requests from Asia, South America, Europe and any specific IP that trys to login to my system.  Any attempt at root gets the ip blocked and 3 login attempts with a bad id or password, gets the ip blocked. I know this is way to technical without a lot of details for a sawmill forum, but that's what I did before I got into woodworking, sawing, and logging. Google some of these topics if you need more information.  

Hal
I'm so covered with sawdust, my nickname should be dusty...

SwampDonkey

I've used Norman Security Suite for 10 years and have not ever been taken over. I also run Spybot.  I don't trust Microsoft to protect me. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SPIKER

few week back my McFafee was done as well, I bought Web Root security suit, with my turbotax well that WR went back it worked but slowed system down (not as bad a Norton though) WebRoot has money back guarantee but the fine print is you have to call & work with them to fix problems ect ect ect. I sent it back with my receipt to get my 50 bucks back I HOPE 6 to 8 weeks and no you dont get your mail costs or tax back...   It screwed up much of my browsing fun Face boox and some on-line games failed to work and even now the ATARI on-line stuff wont work any longer.    I went to AVG so far so good.  I also have a PC Tools regestry Mechanic on here that runs on its own that has slowed the system a bit and not sure if the WR & It conflicted but I couldnt use this thing with WR on it.

Mark
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Jeff

Magicman, did you uninstall Mcafee?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

I did from the Control Panel, "Add or Remove Programs".

This latest "auto-renew" deal came in an email from McAfee, and then in the US Mail.  I'm confidant that it has been properly squashed.  I have an email from McAfee stating that it has.

I don't know what would have happened if that Visa number had been valid.

AvT

I have never experienced a virus.  Up until I got this computer a couple of years ago I never used and antivirus beyond the trial periods.  I never got a virus.... other than the antivirus software itself.  I did decide to get the paid version of AVG when I bought this computer and have been satisfied even though it has never picked anything up other than a few cookies.  It doesn't seem to tie up too many resources............... KNOCK ON WOOD
Wannabe sawyer, Cord King M1820 firewood processor Palax KS35 Ergo firewood Processor, 5403 John Deere, Bunch of other farm equipment,   LT70 Remote Woodmizer.  All good things but the best things in life are free.. If you don't believe me.. hold your breath for 2 minutes

Bandmill Bandit

For PCs i found Avast to be one of the better ones but the best one of all so far has been Apple. Still have one PC mail server running but it will be out of here with in the next  3 months if it holds up that long. Then I will be parasite/virus free.

3 years and not a single issue with any thing that may even look like a virus with our Apple systems and we run about dozen of em not including I phones.
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself