iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Last load of wood went into the Solar kiln today

Started by Kingcha, October 13, 2013, 06:39:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

Started getting ready for winter..........sorry for swearing.    Got a load of mostly 2 X 4's & 6's that had air dried down to about 16+% into the solar kiln today.   It will sit in the kiln all winter after pulling the fans out some time soon.   

I have one 5x6 post I need to square up on the mill then I am done for the season.    We took the tarp off the temp. structure that I have been using to air dry my wood.   

Not looking forward to greasing up the mill for the winter, that and a few added supports under the leanto, just to be safe.   

The 2x4's are for my fist project next spring

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

drobertson

This sounds great!  you have definitely made the proper game plan and stuck to it,  I'm not sure of you winter weather conditions, but I would almost recommend not completely, but rather stick to a near normal schedule on running, at least a few hours on a week end or so.  Otherwise remove the gas and battery and lube it down.    david 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I hear ya Matt!

I'm just about to the "pull the plug" point myself!

Right now I'm into a 10,000bf job to about the 2,500bf point.

Next thing would be parking the mill in the garage and doing my "check the mill over" thing through the winter.

One upgrade will be done, and that is to add a bigger motor to the up/dn system!

Kind of feel sad about ending the season, but also feel good about it too!

Besides deer season is here too!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

thecfarm

You have done good. Going from nothing,meaning having no sawmill to having a kiln and building it at that. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Kingcha

Thanks guys.  I am really happy I went electric especially now.   Not a whole lot to do, just some grease to keep the rust away.

I am a little surprise I did not put more hours on the mill but then I have no more room to store the lumber.   But yes cfarm I am happy i got the kiln done this year. 

Now I just gotta start the process of looking for some work next season.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

justallan1

You've done a good bit in a short time, Matt. Glad to see all is good for you.
It's supposed to snow tomorrow, so mine will be took off the trailer and set up in the barn and I'll start bringing the logs to it.

Allan

Finn1903

Matt,
you have done well this year, selecting, ordering and recieving your mill, first few logs, and a kiln, wow. 
Not sure if you are a hunter but Chuck said it right.

Quote from: Chuck White on October 13, 2013, 07:12:36 PM

Kind of feel sad about ending the season, but also feel good about it too!

Besides deer season is here too!

Nothing like deer season in Michigan, deer camp with good food, friends and stories about that buck that got away.  Sure miss it!

nice job this year,
Tom
WM LT40HDD47, bunch of saws, tractor, backhoe, and a loving wife.

Kingcha

Thanks Finn.  No I am not a hunter.   I was actually hoping to head to Tunica, MS fro a few weeks in November for some poker but I don't think that is going to happen unless I do well this coming weekend at a WSOP circuit event.   Fingers crossed lol.

Thank You Sponsors!