iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Used bandsawmills

Started by Cruiser_79, November 15, 2019, 02:35:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cruiser_79

In europe most commercial sawmills use vertical bandsaws like primultini, brenner etc. Works very well I think, but they seems to be a lot more complicated, bigger and more expensive. I think a (big) horizontal sawmill will be better for a starting, small scale operation. Easier to move, smaller etc. Are there loggers out there sawing full time with horizontal bandsawmills (also hardwood) and what type and size machines they are using?
It should be tough enough for loading 25' length, diam 35'' logs with a wheelloader, and it would be nice to backdrag sawn boards on a conveyor so you don't need to take all sawn boards by hand.

There are a couple of used sawmills for sale over here;

- Woodmizer LT15 with automatic thickness computer etc. Year 2014 for  +-  $ 8000  
Don't think it will be a good bet for commercial use, construction looks little weak and capacity is too low I'm afraid.  
- Mebor HTZ1100 with log turners etc. with manual thickness scale. Year 2002, for +- $17000
- Mebor HTZ1200 with log turners etc. and feeding deck, year 2014 for +- $41300 . Very professional and heavy duty but quite expensive for a start up...
- Woodmizer LT20 with petrol engine and only 300 hours, year 2016 for $19000. Looks nice to me but won't this construction be a little light for milling 35'' diameter logs?

Are these prices way too high in comparison with the US? And are the mobile woodmizers tough enough for loading big diameter logs with a loader?

Southside

5,000-10,000 lb sawmill vs 50,000 lb wheel loader tossing a 5,000 lb log onto it, being driven by a guy who didn't pay for either machine.  Even the Titanic sunk due to the laws of inertia.

With any mill you you are far better off to load logs onto a log deck and let the deck feed the mill. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Stephen1

If not the log deck, I use bunks on the ground, and the Loading arms to lift the big logs. I like to keep the machines away from the mill
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Cruiser_79 on November 15, 2019, 02:35:53 AMAre there loggers out there sawing full time with horizontal bandsawmills (also hardwood) and what type and size machines they are using?
Cruiser,

I question your term "loggers" in conjunction with bandsawmills. We generally describe loggers as the guy who cuts the trees in the forest into logs of desired length then take the to a "Sawyer" with a mill to make them into lumber.

If you have breezed through this forum for just a few minutes I don't understand this question about the use of horizontal bandmills for full time sawing. 

Yes! There a a large number of people sawing full time with horizontal bandmills and many saw almost exclusively hardwoods. Yellowhammer, Peter Douin and WDH are a few of the members who saw full time with Woodmizer band mills. LT 40, LT50, LT70 and comparable sized mills from other manufacturers/sponsors are very commonly used. The Woodmizer log loader arms are typically rated at 4400 lbs. Those mills typically saw logs in the range you are describing. Most don't saw 25 feet without an extra extension or two but that is not hard to add if part of your business plan. Anything over 16' in most cases is getting into specialty 

I have no idea about prices for equipment in Europe. I did not know the bandmills commonly used in Europe were often vertical bandmills. Maybe it is a carryover from when they sawed by hand in a sawyers pit. :D I visited a French run sawmill in the Central African Republic and they used a very large horizontal bandmill as I remember. I have no idea what type it was - that was before I bought my sawmill or even seriously considered getting one. 

Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

SawyerTed

A 25' log 35" diameter white oak log will weigh over 10,000 pounds.  A yellow poplar will weigh 6,400 pounds.  That's tremendous weight to be loading directly on a mill.  For handling logs like that on a regular basis, a log deck is a necessity if you want the sawmill to remain operational.  

Loading with a wheel loader has visibility challenges that make for heavy drops on the mill.  I have a regular customer that has a wheel loader.  We roll the logs off the forks on to the lift.  We almost never load directly on to the mill.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

donbj

I agree, no machinery loading my mill. If anyone is going to smack my mill it will be me, not someone else on another machine. The only machine that has loaded mine(very rarely) has been my own tractor with forks operated by me. Not a mistrust of others, just mistakes happen.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Magicman

Even if just placing those heavy logs on the ground beside the sawmill, I have had my sawmill loader forks bent several times by logs being "adjusted".  Wheel loaders and trackhoes, etc. don't know their own strength and accidents can/will happen.

Trackhoe operator did it and the log was on the ground. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Cruiser_79

Okay thanks all! Sawmills in Europe that I know use vertical bandsaws and gangsaws. I know horizontal mills, but mostly they are used as mobile units or 'parttime' operations and don't have loading decks. They do have arms sometimes but I don't know or they can lift heayy logs without wrecking/twisting the machine...
It is a good and safe solution to build a loading deck indeed. Would be terrible to see an operator destroying your mill within a few days...

I sure know the horizontal mills are used professional, but don't know the downsides of the woodmizers etc when using 40-50 hours a week.
There must be some reason European mills use vertical bandsaws more often.  Maybe because the vertical mills use engines of 50-75 kw. The saw itself is stationary, and the log is on a carriage moved besides the saw.
Thanks for the replies, getting wiser every day!

D6c

I don't know the size of your planned operation but there are mid size Mills available.  Bigger than most portable Mills but not not as big as full size vertical  industrial machines.
Industrial Sawmills | Industrial Sawmill Equipment | Wood-Mizer USA

ladylake

looking at vid of the  Mebor HTZ1200 I'd  get that , looks like 10 times the mill.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Cruiser_79

Quote from: ladylake on November 17, 2019, 08:06:59 AM
looking at vid of the  Mebor HTZ1200 I'd  get that , looks like 10 times the mill.   Steve
Yeah, try to visit one of the mebors this week. I guess they are relatively cheap because everyone wants a mobile mill. The mebors weight from 5 to 10 tons, too heavy for legal towing with a pickup truck or van in Europe. 

customsawyer

One of my LT70s has a 24 ft ext. on it and I regularly load 40 ft. logs on it in the size you mentioned. The key word is that I am the one loading it. I use a med sized front end loader with forks to load it. I just leave the toe board rollers up on the mill and the ext. set the log down gently and back up. For logs that size and length you need hyd. on the mill and the ext. to be able to handle the logs. 
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!