iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belsaws almost ready

Started by b dukes, April 14, 2012, 05:56:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

b dukes

After working most of the day I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel.  Dont have but a few things to do left. Finished the sawdust collection box and set the blower back in place. I had a small cement pad poured to set it on but when i had to change the pulleys , it would no longer work.  I move it out of the way with the tractor.  Went and cut some channel to weld to the main frame for it to set on. Then the welder would not crank so thats it for today.  After I get the blower bolted down then its just piping it back in.

For some of you that want to see this from the start , search belsaw progress.

Farmer_17

Looking good hope to get where you are with my mill soon. Once you start cutting could you post how well the blower works. I plan I on use one also but have read they can be a pain.
Farmer 8) 8) 8)
Farmer TD-9 dozer, Fordson backhoe, Ford 8N, Belsaw M-14,1922 Studebaker touring, 1958 Edsel, 1948 Nash

snowshoveler

I have 1 of those blowers and thought about using it...
Mine is probably 1 size smaller than yours.
Interested to see how you make out with it.
So far I am just shoveling sawdust, not to bad but if I had help sawing it would be a pain.
Now I clean up after every hundred or so feet or sawing.
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

apm

Hi b dukes, You've really got things coming together. It looks great. I bet you're dying to get it all up and running.

A couple of things from your pictures that you've probably already thought of and are planning for, but, You need to do something to protect your saw guide. The way it appears currently is that the end of the board as it cuts loose from the cant, will fall right onto the guide. Belsaw guides are pretty fragile cast aluminum and I don't think would stand up to much of that.

It might be an optical illusion from the pictures, but your roller cage needs to be a few inches below the carriage floor.  With a new log on the carriage, taking the first pass, if you've got a knot or stub hanging down it'll crash into the roller table.

You're going to have one fine showpiece there before long.

Greg
Timberking 1600 now

b dukes

The roller bed is about an inch below the carriage now , I see what you mean looking at the picture. If you look at the picture I used a board to get the spacing I wanted under the rollerbed. That way I could change it if needed.  I have a piece made to go in front of the blade , as well as a guard. Kinda waiting until I finished the collection box , and make sure it works before I install it. It's been a long time in the works ., hopefully it will be finished soon!

snowshoveler

You have a nice mill there.
Going to make some nice lumber for sure.
I little caution I will warn you about...put some sort of protection up.
I started sawing sawing only a few weeks ago and neglected that part.
Didn't take long and a good sized knot camo off a log and got me in the belly.
I learned a few new words and had the wind knocked out of me.
Right away I put up a nice stainless screen I had for the job.
Of course nothing has come at me since but at least I have protection.
Take care
Chris
International T5 dozer
JD M tractor
MF skidloader
Jonsered chainmill
Vintage Belsaw

bandmiller2

The best thing I found for a flak screen is a piece of linked chain [chainmail] conveyer belt off a donut fryer.Also a section of fireplace screen.I suspend from the overhead with light chain.Place it just on your side of the saw so it can swing with no danger of hitting the saw. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Tripp

I will have to agree with the need for protection. The first time I saw another circle mill run It threw a piece of slab on the gig back. Very scary. The owner said it was only the second time it had happened in all of his years of sawing. It made a big impression on me. Things happen very fast with a circle mill.

Tripp

customsawyer

Nice looking setup you have there. Would love to come see it. Where are you at in McRae?
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

b dukes

I am really closer to Milan.  I live between there and Workmore.  Let me know when you are able to come by.   Send me a message next time you are sawing and I will try to come see yours.  Don't know anything about a bandmill but I can carry boards :D

Lambee10

curious-
what powers your saw? My Belsaw is PTO driven but I see the large wheel and belt off that to the blower.  from there what happens?

Nice looking set up by the way.

Lambee
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

b dukes

I power it with the tractor in the background.  It is 81 HP at the PTO,  I took the PTO shaft off while I was working on the blower and collection box.   I have been looking for a power unit , but no luck yet.

The PTO shaft is connected to the arbor shaft with a 1 3/4 keyed coupling , six inches long , I made a insert to go in three inches that has a 1 3/8 male that the PTO end yoke bolts to.

Lambee10

OHHHHH.  I got it.

thanks. 
All animals like me...at feeding time.

M-14 Belsaw and the toys to go with it.

Thank You Sponsors!