iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Plunge Cut

Started by Kingmt, September 30, 2015, 07:10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ZeroJunk

Older bars seemed to have a round radius as opposed to more or less elliptical on newer bars depending on the bar.

Everything I thought to try the bar just kicked out, but I am no faller by any stretch.

SawTroll

Quote from: HolmenTree on September 30, 2015, 11:07:16 PM

Now the Oregon laminated one piece Double Guard bars on the market today are what you call silly :D

Not at all, I didn't even know those existed!

I see your point regarding pulpwood cutting though.
Information collector.

beenthere

Zerojunk
I suspect it is technique then, as my bars are quite standard that I've used near forever...

Keep the chain speed up and good hold on the saw... and more practice.

The bar on my nearly new MS362  that I will flip over when switching to the alternate chain.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kingmt

I knew less about chains & bars then I do now when I bought my MS180 & the dealer put a .043 Picco on it. I hated that chain & bar but loved the saw. So I got a Pollen & modded it to work since I couldn't find anything else for it. A few weeks ago I decided it was time for a sprocket & I got to looking to see what bar could be put on it.
I found a Oregon that was .050" & love that bar on this saw. Of course I could have bought a Stihl .050" bar & chain for $70ish but this one was only $25 for both & it cuts better then the Stihl chains I have been using. I only run a 14" bar on that saw.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on October 01, 2015, 06:17:20 PM
Zerojunk
I suspect it is technique then, as my bars are quite standard that I've used near forever...

The bar on my nearly new MS362  that I will flip over when switching to the alternate chain.

That's my experience as well - no tip size really is a problem for bore/plunge cutting, when doing it properly. Always be prepared to contain push-back when the upper part of the tip is in contact with wood.
Information collector.

ZeroJunk

Quote from: beenthere on October 01, 2015, 06:17:20 PM
Zerojunk

That is a modern tapered elliptical nose. Some older bars, even Stihl bars, had a larger radius at the tip. They designed away from them because of kickback.

Sawtroll, I know a lot more about fixing saws than using them.

WV Mountaineer

I've learned a lot on this thread.  I love this place.  It's almost like Holman tree knows what he talks about.  ;D

I'm no feller but, have fell quite a few and, bore cut nearly every one of them due to running the shorter 18-24 inch bars on the saws I've owned.  One thing is a constant.  You have got to get the bore started with the underside of the bar tip.  Once notched, I throttle up and start cutting near the backside with just the tip.  At the same time, I start letting the tip cut back towards the notch.  I'm really not cutting it as much as scoring and just allowing the saw to track the cut.  When I get almost perpendicular to me, I push the saw forward to perpendicular and, plunge it in and work it to the backside of the notch.  then I cut to the trigger with the top side of the bar.  I switch sides and, start the cut with the underside of the tip an inch or two from the depth of the notch I want.  As I let it start to cut and get sufficient distance to keep from cutting my hinge wood, I bring the saw perpendicular and plunge it.  I work back to the notch to get it even and to the thickness I want it and, then bring it on around to establish the trigger.  I pull it, then cut the trigger loose. It is slower than what pro's do on some trees but, it is fail safe and, has kept me alive so far.

This method depends on body position to the saw when starting and requires a bit of moving while cutting.  But, like I said,  while slower than the professionals, it is safe and has kept me alive.  I'm no pro but, I like being alive.  Give it a try.  Just remember, the bottom side of the tip is where the bore starts.  Once you get it established, it will go right on through as long as the cut isn't being done with the upside of the tip.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

beenthere

Show us a pic of the old fat nose bar you had trouble with on the leaner. Sounds interesting.. and I like to know more.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Al_Smith

Speaking only for myself a plunge type cut is one I use very seldom .About the only time is on a heavy head leaner as a step to prevent a barber chair of which I had one and never care to have another . :o

SawTroll

Quote from: Al_Smith on October 01, 2015, 10:03:32 PM
Speaking only for myself a plunge type cut is one I use very seldom .About the only time is on a heavy head leaner as a step to prevent a barber chair of which I had one and never care to have another . :o

I often use plunge cuts on leaners, just for that reason - even though birch isn't very likely to barberchair. It usually is too twisted and knotted to do so, but you never know....
Information collector.

Pine Ridge

The open face bore cut completely changed the way i cut timber. I know its not for everyone, or every tree or situation, but it works very good for most of the timber i cut. when i learned the technique, i figured i might use it on 10 percent of the trees i would fall, but after doing it awhile and getting more comfortable with it, i now bore cut probably 90 percent of the time.
Husqvarna 550xp , 2- 372xp and a 288xp, Chevy 4x4 winch truck

49er

Does this forum have a "like" button when ya like what someone says?
   I think I am like many folks here when it comes to felling skills. I consider myself a competent amateur but no professional. 
Husqvarna EC390 365xt
Jonsered 2188 2165 2260 2253 70e
Redmax GZ4000

ZeroJunk

Lets' see.

Well, it is in the gallery somewhere. Old round nose Stihl 3/8 VS new Carlton 3/8 . I don't have a new Stihl 3/8 so may be apples and oranges. But, you will notice there is no taper at all, just a straight line to the nose.

SawTroll

Quote from: 49er on October 01, 2015, 10:46:16 PM
Does this forum have a "like" button when ya like what someone says?

I haven't seen any such feature here....

Some times I have wanted it, but mostly I don't miss it.
Information collector.

beenthere

As I recall, the "like" button has been discussed, and got a smiley_thumbsdown

Just use our words to say we like something as it is much more personal, seemed to be the jist of the members.
south central Wisconsin

ZeroJunk

Quote from: beenthere on October 01, 2015, 08:59:23 PM
Show us a pic of the old fat nose bar you had trouble with on the leaner. Sounds interesting.. and I like to know more.

I posted the photo in case you missed it.

HolmenTree

Quote from: ZeroJunk on October 02, 2015, 11:00:13 AM
Lets' see.

Well, it is in the gallery somewhere. Old round nose Stihl 3/8 VS new Carlton 3/8 . I don't have a new Stihl 3/8 so may be apples and oranges. But, you will notice there is no taper at all, just a straight line to the nose.
M

Yup that's  a big old hard nose bar, equivalent to the 13 tooth sprocket nose 25" bar Stihl sells. Radius diameter is about 2 7/8".
The smaller one is a 11 tooth sprocket nose Oregon PowerMatch bar about 2 1/4" diameter.
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

Kingmt

I like the like button on other forums. If nothing else I can show I'm still reading my thread & appreciate the post when I don't have anything yet to add.

beenthere

smiley_thumbsdown

Save it for facebook and the "like". 
:D

...or if you "like", then use smiley_thumbsup
;D

Are there other forums ??
south central Wisconsin

Kingmt

I don't use Facebook to know they even had a like button. I usually don't post again to keep people from looking again only to find there isn't any new information. I used to be quite active in the Android community & I'm still a Mod on androidarea51.com but as far as forestay forums I don't think there is. I've never been to another one anyways. So far I've gotten all the information I can process from this one. However I still have hobbies of farming, Android, & machining.

Shotgun

Quote from: beenthere on October 03, 2015, 02:28:32 PM
smiley_thumbsdown

Save it for facebook and the "like". 
:D

...or if you "like", then use smiley_thumbsup
;D

Are there other forums ??

It appears you were too subtle, bt.     ;)
Joined The Forestry Forum 5 days before 9/11.

Lorenzo

On the subject, Bore cutting , open face knotch ect..  ect...

I have always thought this guy does a good explanation and demonstration of safely felling a tree using some of the methods discussed in this thread.

If you haven't already watched this I hope you like it as much as I did.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Teb2bQsqx44&feature=player_detailpage

WV Mountaineer

That is the safest way I know of feeling a tree.  God Bless
Trying to live for the Lord, spend all the time I got with family, friends, hunting, fishing, and just enjoying my blessings.

346xp

Quote from: WV Mountaineer on October 03, 2015, 11:31:11 PM
That is the safest way I know of feeling a tree.  God Bless
Great video but he needs a sharp chain ,that chain is making dust not chips  8) 8)

Spartan

So, what I do, take it with a grain of salt, and bear in mind I cut softwood.  But someone taught me a trick as I was learning.  You roll the saw in as stated before, then when I get in a little, if I feel like she's gonna kick, I twist the bar slightly and pull up a little on the rear of the saw.  This creates a pocket in the cut that is very hard to kick out of.  I can bore skip very easy this way.

Thank You Sponsors!