iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using a Bowbar Chainsaw (bowsaw)

Started by Tom, November 06, 2008, 10:48:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

Lots of folks have never seen one.  They are/were popular, expecially in the south. Used for pulpwood collection mostly by shortwood haulers.
http://www.tomssaw.com/gallery/pulpwoodtruck

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ocxHS6BxFAk

sawguy21

Interesting. I have seen those but never in action. No need for PPE ???
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Tom

Speaking of safety, it should be mentioned that there is a guard to be used on the bar.  It is an aluminum or steel cover that runs from the power head to about half-way to the curve of the tip.  While most operators don't use them, it is recommended.  That keeps the running chain from contacting your thigh.

Personal Protection garments are always a plus but seldom seen in these parts. :)

DanG

Quote from: sawguy21 on November 06, 2008, 10:54:00 PM
No need for PPE ???

Sawguy, when bowbars were popular, PPE meant stepping behind a tree, not leaning over it. ;D :D

I used a bow for many years, and mine is in the possession of Jeff, dreaming of being part of a Forestry Forum Museum. :)  In my opinion, the bow is the safest hand-held bucking saw there is.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Al_Smith

I used a bow on a Mac 250 back in the early 60s'as a teenager  and cut literally thousands of osage orange fence posts with it . It had the guards .If you know how to use them properly they are fine ,if not they are dangerous .

tcsmpsi

Here's a couple pics to help with Tom's post.

I have this saw for well over 30 yrs and have used it up, down and around.  Even climbed with it a couple times.   ;D

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Al_Smith

I will say this about a bow,it is the cats's meow for cutting  or bucking small fence post or pulp wood size trees . The cuvature of the bar presents the cutting surface slightly different to the wood as compaired to a regular bar .It will just walk though small wood .

I can't attest to it but have heard some of the western logger types used bows on the landings to bump knots and cut the trees to log lengths . I've never experianced western logging pratices so I have to take those peoples' word for it .

DanG

From a safety standpoint, a couple of things make the bow less dangerous than it looks.  Of course, the spur is the main thing, as it makes kickback virtually impossible.  Another major point is fatigue.  It is much less tiring, and easier on the back than a bar.  A minor point is that the natural tendency is to hold the saw to the side, rather than having the chain lined up with the middle of your forehead.  I have to consciously avoid that when using a bar, but it would be downright awkward to hold a bowsaw straight in front of your body.  When bucking with a bar, you are always bending over, and tend to put your head directly above the saw.

From a maintenance standpoint, the clutch and sprocket on a bowsaw never gets clogged with sawdust, since all the chips exit down there by the spur.  Cleaning the saw is much easier and quicker. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

isawlogs

First one I have seen was DanGs at Jeff's.
Couple of questions for ya  ;D

Are they available for the newer saws that turns a few rpm's more then those oldys , ???
Are they still in use ???
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Tom

They can still be purchased but are not readily available.  They are still used, here in the South, by farmers, shortwood pulpwooders and those that just like them.  Their demise has more to do with Insurance companies deciding that they were too dangerous than the fact that they are too dangerous.  They are ominous looking and I think that had more to do with their use than the accidents that may have occurred.  Like any tool, they must be used with caution and the observation of proven safety procedures.

The insurance companies threatened to not insure loggers who used the tool. It is almost passe' now since the insurance companies have made it too expensive to use chainsaws of any style, in the woods anymore.

tcsmpsi

I have used the bow saw in situations and with methods that would have today's world...a bit aghast.   ;D

That one in the picture, I have rebuilt and pretty much used up all the parts in this part of the world for it.  I believe, I may have officially retired it.
As you can see, there were bows still available for it when Poulan went to green.   If I remember correctly, I gave round $125 for the new bow many years ago. 

I've never felt 'unsafe' with it, or had any of what might normally be considered 'close calls'.   Using 1/2" pitch chain, if it's true and the saw is running at its peak, it will move some wood.

Cheapchainsaw.com has bows available for several more current saws, Marcel.
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Thank You Sponsors!