iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

New to FF Planning on building my own mill

Started by GAmillworker, February 06, 2011, 09:35:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GAmillworker

Currently using a baker abx resaw 16x16 capacity so they say.  I have cut some 22"x20" poplar beams.  minor mods to do so.

Have really enjoyed reading posts for about two weeks.  Lots of usefull info on here.

I run a custom millwork shop in West Georgia.  Grew up learning to work hard.  My dad, grandfather & I were brick masons.  However I've allways loved wood work.

I do a lot of reclaimed wood flooring, so most of the time I am taking beams and just resawing 4/4 blanks.  The resaw works fine however the beams almost always have bows and twists.  I have some friends that have a baker mill that slides on rails and does a great job of cutting things straight.  Thats what i would like to build.

I am starting with a wadkin verticle resaw that was my first resaw.  It has 3" wide by 30" band wheels.  I have allready cut it apart.  I am thinking about using a chevy 26' box truck frame that I have to mount the mill on. 

Not sure weather to go with four post machine or cantilever like WM.

Also the reason for new mill.  I was given some 54" Oak logs that i want to cut slabs out of.  Allready have orders for a few tables.

Looking foward to getting to know you guys.  thanks for all your help.   :)
Thank the Lord for second chances

Magicman

Welcome, GAmillworker, to the Forestry Forum.  It will be interesting to hear more about your operation.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GAmillworker

Thanks for the welcome Magicman
working on photo gallery

sgschwend

Welcome to the forum.  There are many of us here who build in some capacity or other. 

It will be interesting to see your project develops.  Certainly handling large logs can be a challenge in building a machine that can provide the cut options of slabs or square and plumb edges.
Steve Gschwend

sjgschwend@gmail.com

customsawyer

Welcome to the forum and glad to have another from Ga. on here. If you would like to come and watch me mill up some of the big logs that I like to mill you are welcome to do so.
When you are building the mill to cut the bigger logs remember that handling the big ones is just as hard if not harder than the cutting of them. It really helps to have the right equipment for the task and I don't have half of the things that I would like to have.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

weisyboy

a 4 poster would be easyer to build, and keep alinghned.

a singel or 2 poster would be easyer to use.

from waht i can see anyhow.
god bless america god save the queen god defend new zealand and thank christ for Australia
www.weisssawmilling.com.au
http://www.youtube.com/user/weisyboy?feature=mhee
http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100000696669814&sk=photos

ATLGA

Welcome! Another GA member is always great!  8)
America First.

bandmiller2

Welcome GA miller,You would be wise to forget the cantilever design it works well but is tricky to build right.Four post,use "V" castor wheels running on ^ angle iron.Your head will be heavy use hydraulics to raise and lower and feed.If you will be stationary and have three phase power, by all means use it.Alot of us here have built our own mills,just ask.Build heavy duty and build with precision have everything plumb and level makes it easier later.Thick wall steel tube is the best to work with,can be drilled and tapped,make everything adjustable.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

fishpharmer

Welcome to FF, Ga mill works!!

Looking forward to your build.  I too would shy away from building a cantilever head unless you have some very precise metalworking machines and skills.  Although It can be done if you want. 

Not sure if anyone is nearby with a slabbing mill (Lucas or Peterson), you may consider building a machine like that if slabbing is your main objective.  The beauty of those machines, being they setup over the log.  Reduces log handling, increases mill handling.
Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

GAmillworker

Thanks for the greetings & replies.

I do have three phase power.  I plan on running a 50hp electric motor. 

Since I will have about a 60" opening will a 2" band be wide enough?

Also have a 5hp hydrolic pump with 25gal tank will that be enough to work hydrolics?

tyb525

Wider bands are better for wider cuts, however anything much over 2" gets a lot more expensive to maintain.
LT10G10, Stihl 038 Magnum, many woodworking tools. Currently a farm service applicator, trying to find time to saw!

bandmiller2

GA. Miller,50 hp is considerable over kill, half that would be plenty.Bandwidth should be what the two wheels are designed for most larger bandmills use 1 1/2",legnth is made up when you buy the band it comes on a roll they weld to your specs.Your 5hp hydraulic unit should be plenty and run all your hyd. needs.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

customsawyer

I have the same hyd. pump set up that Bibbyman has and it is running off of a 7 1/2 hp elec. motor and there is times I wish it had more power. I always keep in the back of my mind that if I had more power I could break more parts.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Thank You Sponsors!