iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bwstout

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 31, 2019, 08:39:50 AM
We posted sawing some last week !
  From earlier...Didn't anyone as a kid make tea from sassafras roots ?
We use to dig the roots after Church on Sundays and Mom would boil it for tea at dinner time, evertime I smell it brings back the "Good-ol- Days" then I remember how poor we were not sure why we call them "Good" ;D
home built mill

LeeB

Quote from: tule peak timber on May 31, 2019, 08:39:50 AM
We posted sawing some last week !
  From earlier...Didn't anyone as a kid make tea from sassafras roots ?

What do you mean as a kid? I still do.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

tule peak timber

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Ljohnsaw

Looks like Eucalyptus.  Quite stinky!
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

caveman

Hints: Has a menthol medicinal smell like Vick's vapor rub.  Native to China and Japan.  Garlon will kill it.  They produce drupes which birds eat and often deposit in disturbed areas where the seeds sprout.  This tree is found from at least Texas to Georgia.

Extracts from this tree have been used to treat toe nail fungus, heart disease, itchy skin, improve circulation, open airways, and even treat hemorrhoids (works even better than eating a bowlful of habaneros).

It is considered an invasive in Florida even though it is often used as a fast growing yard tree.
Caveman

tule peak timber

samandothers

Yes on the sassafras tea!  I would dig roots on farm and bring to mom or my grandmother to make tea.  Have not had the tea in a while.

caveman

Today's tree was Camphor or  (Cinnamomum camphora).  It is used for Vick's Vapo Rub.  When I was a child with bronchitis, twice a year, my grandmother would slather the Vick's all over my chest and back and then wrap me in saran wrap.  It must have worked.  I am still alive.  
Caveman

tule peak timber

We are putting some in the kiln next week for a headboard and some furniture.

caveman

I should have gotten better pictures of this one but this is all I have. Southside should be all over this one.  Hint:  one of my mentors told me that if I saw this tree growing, do not try to build a house there.  Magicman has sawn some of these.  I have never had the opportunity to get one big enough to saw.
Caveman

ellmoe

Thirty plus years in the sawmill/millwork business. A sore back and arthritic fingers to prove it!

WDH

Wood is light and soft.  Was used for wicker furniture. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

From the hints and from what I can see of the leaves it should be this:

I have sawn many Mbf for several different customers.  This job was ~10Mbf.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

A different customer.  All of this species that I have sawn has been dried, T&G, and used as wall paneling.  ;D

These boards are 1" X16".  :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

LeeB

The wood was used at one time to make artificial limbs.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Southside

I had to Ash myself why I was not seeing the forest through the trees.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Don P

Was this one claimed to make the best charcoal for black powder?

Woodpecker52

bark cures a headache also.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

Magicman

??  Are we all looking at the leaves in Reply #209?  smiley_headscratch

caveman

Yes, the charcoal made from this wood is supposed to be good for making black powder.

Yes, this tree grows in the wetter areas.  I think I read that this tree grows in 36 states and a lot of Canada.  It evidently gets to saw log size in Mississippi based on the pictures MM posted with the nearly BLACK heartwood.

The leaves also have small serrations.

Caveman

tule peak timber

btulloh

Does it have a cousin that weeps?
HM126

Magicman

Quote from: caveman on June 01, 2019, 04:37:18 PMIt evidently gets to saw log size in Mississippi based on the pictures MM posted with the nearly BLACK heartwood

Yes it does on both counts.  Some of those logs in the background were easily in the 18" - 20"+ class.  The color variation can be dramatic from black to a very pleasing amber.

Magicman

Another example.

Same species but very different colored heartwood.

I love to saw it.  :)

caveman

That one did not challenge any of you.  I doubt tomorrow's will either but the leaves will be far from simple.  Rob, that rocker is phenomenal.  The black willow (Salix nigra) around here gets big enough to make some artificial limbs but I hope that I do not need them any time soon. MM, good looking wood inside those logs.

Time to go back out and attempt to start the mill's engine and start sawing some mostly really small cedar logs that were brought to me earlier today.  At least it has cooled off to the lower 90's now that it is almost 6 p.m.  I even saw a cloud today but no rain for the crunchy, brown grass.
Caveman

Thank You Sponsors!