iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Tree of the day

Started by caveman, May 08, 2019, 09:21:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ljohnsaw

The leaves look like Dogwood but I've never seen berries on mine.  Is it related to dogwood?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

Jeff

Yes! It is an Alternate-leaf dogwood Cornus alternafolia. Pagoda dogwood
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

KEC

I'm not sure if this tree has already been on here or not, but here's one.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

KEC

I figured one of you guys would get it quickly. My neighbor has some in his yard and I have a few, though we ,in Central New York, are outside its' range. It seems to develop seams in the  crotches and the winds gets them. Wood is sort of middle-of -the -road firewood.

dchiapin

Arrowwood, Viburnum dentatum

DelawhereJoe

Have we run out of trees....or days ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Woodpecker52

Here is a tree should be easy, likes to hold on to it limbs, which are everywhere, large amount of nuts, usually in bottoms and flats, what is I?

Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

Quercus lyrata.  Overcup oak. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Woodpecker52

nope but a oak. Jr. and Sr. leaves.
Woodmizer LT-15, Ross Pony #1 planner, Ford 2600 tractor, Stihl chainsaws, Kubota rtv900 Kubota L3830F tractor

WDH

OK, probably a red oak then, maybe water oak.  It has all kinds of shapes for leaves when young. 

caveman

I agree with Danny, it is in the red oak family and probably new growth.  I am going to need a little more information to even have a chance of getting this one right.  

I have not had a chance to get too far away from home.  Once I do, I will be able to introduce a little variety.
Caveman

Woodpecker52

No one else stepped up to the plate, to have the tree of the day, so you got me, and this was the only picture I had and yes it is a water oak and they certainly have strange first leaves, but it is probable that it is a genetic link, from the past maybe showing up, certainly worth a hypothesis ?  I do not think it is because of global dumbing.

Ianab

Quote from: DelawhereJoe on September 03, 2019, 10:18:48 PM
Have we run out of trees....or days ?
Just days...  :D
I have tomorrow free, so I can go and find some more brain teasers.   ;)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Magicman

OK, here is one for you:

I have no picture of the leaves but the bark and expression should do the trick.  :o  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

doc henderson

looks like a one eyed, speckled bellied ash.  but I have no idea what tree it is!! :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Magicman

I should have added that there were also guttural noises and there were signs of sap spit on the ground !!  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

bwstout

Dad use to fool me and my brothers with it when we were kids never knew why it tickled so much might be just a "tounge and cheek" thing ;D
home built mill

Texas Ranger

Foresters know that tree as the only one to pop up when you need to grab something while jumping the creek.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

timberking

Quote from: Texas Ranger on September 05, 2019, 11:56:48 AM
Foresters know that tree as the only one to pop up when you need to grab something while jumping the creek.

That or a Devil's Walking Stick

Woodpecker52

Devils walking stick and bad KISS ( the band)  impersonation, I have never seen one so big and the bumps look like toothache tree bark also.

Jeff

I have a tree trophy in my polebarn. Lynn probably wished he had kept it in stock right now!
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Magicman

Not a Devil's Walkingstick.  Aralia Spinosa L.

It is:  Hercules-Club aka Toothache Tree, Prickly Ash.  Zanthixylum clave-herculis L.

And for the record, Jeff bit on that one hence the expression.  :D

doc henderson

was asked by a local tree service if I wanted a log.  went to look at it.  she is a cub scout leader and brought her pack to my shop to build pinewood derby cars last winter and her dad used to be our neighbor.  thought I would post some pics.  might make some good firewood and or short lumber.  checking to see if their ID is correct.  the leaf is kind of hybrid looking to me.  lol.

yard tree about 60 feet tall 5 foot diam. base in Ks
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!