iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some serious machines

Started by Raider Bill, May 18, 2020, 09:51:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

petefrom bearswamp

Pretty impressive stuff.
I remember you could buy a conical wedge like the ones pictured to bolt to the rear axle of a vehicle to split firewood.
Dont think it caught on tho
Any of you older (more mature) forumites remember or have used these?
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

47sawdust

Pete,
Back in the 80's my neighbor had one on the back of his Subaru.Split wood all week-end with it ,come Monday morning
the Subaru was going down the road a little sideways.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Raider Bill

Pete,
How did you hold the Chunk to split it that way?
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

thecfarm

I remember those cock screws things. Never used one, kinda scary. Something happens, how can it be shut off?? :o  Long ways to the ignition switch when you are at the rear wheel.  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

sidehill6

pete, there is one for sale on Ithaca CL that has a Kubota brand on fits three point hitch runs off pto

Magicman

Had a young kid killed a few years ago with a PTO driven "corkscrew splitter".  Caught his shirtsleeve and that was that.  :-\  Marty and I had stopped by their operation the weekend before.  
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

47sawdust

The Stickler log splitter in action - Close up on 2003 Suburban .
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

thecfarm

I saw that screw work at a forest show on a excavator. I have never seen one in the state of ME except at a show. They was using it to feed a 1000 hp chipper or about that size.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

petefrom bearswamp

Bill the corkscrew splitter had a stop built in to prevent spinning.
They always looked too dangerous to suit me as others have posted here.
Even the wedge style has its drawbacks if you are not careful
My cousin had one built for his backhoe and took 3 men to run it.
2 to handle the wood an another to run the hydraulic valve from the backhoe seat.
My cousin now has one thumb much shorter than the other.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Klicker

My father had one I was not aloud near it :D :D :D
2006 LT 40 HD

sealark37

The splitters that attached to the rear wheel did work very well.  My employer bought two dozen of them from a distributor in Maine or New Hampshire as part of a large closeout sale.  One of the parts guys took one to test.  He said that you needed to support the vehicle with something better than a bumper jack, and, one should make sure there was enough gas in the tank to get home when the splitting was done.  We were only able to sell them at forestry shows, usually one or two per weekend.  We gave the last few away as gate prizes.

Thank You Sponsors!