iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

OK guys some more input needed.

Started by strunk57, April 04, 2013, 09:43:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

Average log price is about $400 per thousand bf. Or .40 a foot. I think this is what cedarman pays. This is price delivered to the yard. I have bought a few loads at .25 a foot but I had to go get the logs. Most cedar is sold using the cedar scale, but I have contemplated using the doyle or international just to cut back on small logs. I had an ad on cl for 6" minimum logs and got 90 percent 6"-8" logs. Maybe I just need to up my minimum.
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

never finished

I have a friend, Fellow sawyer, that only does erc. He buys his by scale. Delivered or if he harvests, priced acordingly. ERC is hard to bid even for someone with years of experience. Just so happens I planed and T&G some for him today. First paying job with my PH260.

strunk57

Wow guys so many different opinions. I think this is a good oportunity, im not sure how the marke is goin to be, A guy 10 min north sells cedar for $3bdft, and a guy 10 min west selld for $1. And there are always ppl needing fence post around here. And the fence post would be At least 5" at top and minimal sapwood. I done this 5-6 yrs ago just for extra cash and sold every load before i cut it, then ran out of post. The 88 acres is FULL of nice cedar, post and sawlogs, up to guessing 32-34". But i think im over my head working by myself, Im still not sure if it pays enough to jump in. I think i will try out jus buying by the load for now and see how it goes.
99 timberking b-20. John deere 450c loader. 79 Chevy c-60 95 GMC 2500, Craftsman tablesaw, Dewalt 735 13" planer, stihl ms-290 Stihl 029, Husqvarna 394xp, dewalt router & table, various sanders/hand tools.

justallan1

I think that is a smart move on your part, Strunk. You can always expand later if you find that you want or need to, plus buying by the load for now doesn't give you a bad reputation if things don't go as planned. Have fun.
Allan

Thank You Sponsors!