iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Building a shelter to keep warm

Started by SwampDonkey, May 31, 2004, 02:05:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Many of us have been hunting or hiking on strange property we never been on before. What happens if you get turned around out there and loose your way. It can happen. ;)

First thing is don't panic.

Second thing stop where your at and don't keep wondering around.

Third thing is to consider your situation and time of day. If its in late fall or winter it can get dark fast. So consider the possibility that your going to spend the night.

This third point is what I'm about to elaborate on in this thread.
Up here in the north we are fortunate to have fir thickets in most woodlands, even under some hardwood stands. If hare and grouse can use'm for shelter, so can't we.

Find yourself a location out of the prevailing winds, maybe behind a hummock in the terrain or behind an upturned root, or maybe edge of a rock overhang. Find yourself some poles from deadfall or if you have a hatchet cut some fir or poplar poles about 6 or 8 feet long with forked ends or leave some branches uncut on the small end. Cut 8 or ten of these poles and arrange them in a teepee fashion, don't need no rope if you left forks or branches on the top ends. Then cut , or in the case of fir its easy to break off some branches from small trees for bows. Arrange the bows over the frame of the hut by lacing the branches together. After you have the first layer on you can place the branches on without much lacing. You want enough branches on the hut so it will hold out snow or shed the bulk of rain. A few strips of white birch bark comes in handy to water proof the roof and lay more bows over that to hold in place.
Next be sure to line the inside floor to keep you off the cold ground and to stay dry.

Next gather some dry wood and fine sticks along with birch bark (white or yellow) to start the fire. Gather some larger sticks of wood to maintain the fire over night.You can line the outside ground level with leaves or extra bows for warmth. A hatchet and waterproof matches are your best friend in the bush. If its in the dry season pull away from your fire pit any small woody debris and leaves and line the pit with stones. Smoke from the fire will also drive the biting insects away. If you think your gonna start a fire by rubbing sticks, then I guarentee your going to get more warm trying to light the fire than your gonna from the flames of that fire. ;)
Light the fire at the entrance of your shelter so it radiates into the shelter. Add firewood as needed, prolly once an hour.

Here is your little shelter.

One thing to keep in mind when lost is that most streams lead to roads and civilization. If you find a good sized stream follow it. And if you here traffic, head to the noise. But, beware that noise can echo in valleys more so than on flat land. The stream will eventually come to the road or into a larger body of water. ;)

In addition to this:
Always tell the folks where your hunting or hiking and show them a map of the vascinity.

Carry the hatchet and some waterproof matches.

Carry a compass, it always points north, trust me. If you have a contour map or aerial photo of your vascinity it can help get you to safety. I've used contour maps and forest stand maps when locating grouse hunting areas. I can get them from DNR&E in N.B. ;)

Have a safe hunting and hiking experience out there. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

All good advice there Swamp.

A couple of other things to consider, carry one of those mylar survival blankets in your pack, will make the world of difference inside your little shelter if you also wrap yourself in one of those. They are about the size and weight of a hankerchief but can make the difference if you are caught out in the cold and wet.
Other thing that has been proving it's worth here is EPRB  beacons. The little radio transmitter, the signal is picked up by satallite anywhere in the world and local search and rescue is notified. Sure beats laying in a stream with a broken leg for a couple of days untill someone notices you are overdue. Several cases in the last year where people lost or injured have been picked up same day because they had a beacon, and several others who didn't,  well one was only found when the snow melted, another they are still looking for ::)
A GPS can come in handy too, but learn how  to use it and carry a map as well.

Ian
(part time bush basher)
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

Yup I've used them mylar blankets, looked like a piece of tin foil. The size of , well, as you suggest, a hanky. I know alot of you hiking folks carry tent gear on your back, but this is just in case you don't have intensions of spending the night. ;)

cheers

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

SwampDonkey

This little shelter in the picture , I built about 20 years ago on the woodlot. I used to go there skiing, snowshoing and cookin weenies and marshmellows. I tell ya, I had a nice fire going and I was lots warm in a December snow storm. This was one of them sugar maple stands with balsam fir under thickets. ;D Never been lost in the bush myself, I always follow old grown in trails or streams, and never take chances. Even tie a ribbon or two at points I know I'm coming back to for reference.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!