iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ms 441 problem

Started by Justmerh, March 11, 2017, 06:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Justmerh

A friend was given a ms441 after his boss put a new jug, piston and head on it and couldn't keep it running right. We got it running but it has a hesitation to it and won't idle.

joe_indi

What are the current carb settings? Was the cylinder gasket replaced? Is the impulse hose intact and clear? How is the pickup body in the fuel tank?

Justmerh

new gasket and didn't get into it he had it runin when i got there he held it at half throttle and turned the set screws his self all the way both ways and made no dif were is a good start point on the screws

joe_indi

Quote from: Justmerh on March 11, 2017, 08:40:29 AM
....were is a good start point on the screws
If the carb has limiter caps, turn out both the L and H anticlockwise to their stops. If the screws dont have limiter caps turn the screws (H and L) clockwise to their stops and then back them off one turn anti-clockwise.
Turn the LA screw clockwise till the throttle valve is completely closed. Then turn it in 1 - 2 turns so that the valve barely opens.

sawguy21

I wonder why the top end was replaced. Maybe it has an air leak, I would be vacuum testing it.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Justmerh

He blew the plug out of it. We just replaced the impulse line$11.00 *DanG dollars and $15.00 for the fuel line and $18.00 for the carb kit. That impulse line is bear got it all back together and the lh screw doesn't even touch the throttle linkage. So we just called it night

Canadiana

This happens waaay more than is talked about here justmerh
The saw is more fun than the purpose of the wood... the forest is trembling 🌳

Justmerh

How can i get the lh screw and linkage to come touch do i just bend the it or can i unscrew it off the shaft and turn it a little then tighten it back up.

joe_indi

Could you upload a picture of this

sharkey

If this happens to be a computer controlled 441, start it in cold start but dont touch the trigger.  Let it bumble and stumble for a minute or so and then shut it off with the switch.  Remember dont touch the trigger.  This sets the run parameters of the computer, and you should not see the hesitation or stumble once the system corrects.   

Justmerh

Think it is the metering lever is set wrong. It started after priming it thru the plug a couple of times pulled the carb no sign of gas under the diaphram sprayed carb cleaner thru the fuel intake with the diaphram back on  opened it up nothing did it again with the needle out and the cleaner came right thru, so thinking it has to be set wrong. just not sure of the setting.

Thank You Sponsors!