iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

To Maximize your profits, consider bundled firewood

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, April 16, 2010, 09:39:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HOGFARMER

How has the bundled firewood sales held up in the summer?  I think they would be slower but still exist for campers, and etc.

Am considering doing this for my son who is a freshman at a local university and living at home.  Thanks in advance.

Also are you using all split wood or are you bundling slabs as well?  If slabs does the price vary from split wood?
Manual LT-30

paul case

fred,
i was wondering how long you let your wood season before you bundle it? looks like it would mold if it was too green when bundled.
pc
life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

paul case

life is too short to be too serious. (some idiot)
2013 LT40SHE25 and Riehl edger,  WM 94 LT40 hd E15. Cut my sawing ''teeth'' on an EZ Boardwalk
sawing oak.hickory,ERC,walnut and almost anything else that shows up.
Don't get phylosophical with me. you will loose me for sure.
pc

CRThomas

Quote from: HOGFARMER on August 16, 2011, 12:49:41 PM
How has the bundled firewood sales held up in the summer?  I think they would be slower but still exist for campers, and etc.

Am considering doing this for my son who is a freshman at a local university and living at home.  Thanks in advance.

Also are you using all split wood or are you bundling slabs as well?  If slabs does the price vary from split wood?
Just a few words on bundling firewood use less space,more money per rank, year round sale. Less labor involved. Little bit more equipment. I only do bundled firewood and I was close to $100,000.00 last year.
And I made a world of friends. The fly by nighters stay out of bundling firewood because there just beer money. Look at there ranks not a full load to me. I just made $600.00 to day at farmers market and that is at $2.50 a bundle. I will have that wood bundled back tomarrow be back in business Saturday. Have my dryer filled with the next batch. I have to make one delivery tonight. And the customer invited me and my wife for supper. I like those customers that old gal can cook and her husband is a card. Good night

Busy Beaver Lumber

Paul

The answer to that question is that it depends on where I get it.

I have a tree service I buy a lot of wood from and he probably has 200 cords of wood that is at least a year old. When he splits it and brings it to me, it is already below 20% moisture content, which is what I must be at to meet state regulations.

A lot of my other wood comes from sawmill slabs. These dry much faster than logs left whole or even split logs. Two of my best friends work together and gather and haul this wood for me. One of them has a 5 acre piece of property. He stockpiles about 100 cords of wood for me there at any given time, then hauls it in at the rate of between 3 and 10 cords a week as I need it. He does it on a first in-first out basis, so I am always getting the wood that has aged the longest. He also checks to make sure it is below 20% moisture. In general he lets it sit there on his property drying for between 6 months to a year. He already has about 50 cords there for me for next years deliveries
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

zopi

CR...can we get some details on your drier? Looking to build one soon....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Corley5

A year ago I bought a Twister bundler at an auction for cheap, $65.00, and it works.  This spring I ventured out a bit into bundles at a cabin rental and a campground.  I don't like bundles.  Too much time and labor involved in the bundling, loading and unloading of the bundles.  Bulk processed firewood works better for me.  I dropped my two bundle customers but still sell both of them bulk firewood.  The Twister is stored away for possible futue use. 
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!