iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Trees

Started by Jeff, October 07, 2000, 11:20:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jeff

"Thinking about an Autumn"

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I inadvertantly deleted the page this feature was on. I have had at least a half dozen e-mails requesting this, so I will just post it here without the pictures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
My trees are trying to command my attention again. They do it a little in the spring, as they begin to bud. If I don't pay attention, I miss it. Not because it's so quick, but because it isn't. I saw the buds begin to bulge, but the next time I took notice there were leaves. Not big leaves, baby leaves. And like most babies, the next thing I knew, they were big leaves.

They do it a little in the summer, but I think it's unintentional. In a breeze you may hear them rustle their leaves, or squeak their limbs or you may have to move their discarded twigs to mow the grass, but as a rule they stay to themselves.

Fall. My trees are shouting. They now demand my attention. They say HEY! This is who I am!

My aspens: I think they are the weaker of my trees. They start losing a leaf here and there, even in august. They give up easy. They turn a cowardice shade of yellow and then just roll over.

My Maples: Now these guys know how to make you pay attention. One turns red, one turns yellow, and another turns orange. LOOK AT US! They work  together to the end. On one day they decide, " Okay, were done" and they all loose their leaves. It's like they say O.K. boys, lets make it good.. ready... set... go!, and it just rains color.

Red oak: I think they must be my "who cares" trees. They are never in a hurry for winter. They take their time changing color,(if they even do), and then they just start dropping a leave. Here, then there, saying, "It's coming, it always comes, so what."

White oak: The Tough guys. They don't want winter. They'll tell you that. They refuse to give their leaves up. They save em. They use em to make a statement. You get a real Heavy snow, and Bam! He lets some go right on top of it. "My leaves are on the snow, not under it". Tough guy. He keeps some clear until spring. He makes sure I notice that I have to rake all year long.

Ron Scott

Jeff,
Good! Maybe put a little emphasis on the red maple for its brilliant red color providing an attractive diversity to the fall color landscape among the hardwood yellow, orange, and browns and conifer greens.
~Ron

Jeff

Ron,
I wrote that in about 5 minutes the other day. I was walking in the yard, and all of the sudden, one of the maple trees just started raining leaves like a switch had been turned on. There was absolutely no wind.

It makes me wonder what mechanism within a tree can make it do this? And what actually was the trigger? I am not talking 20 or even 50 leaves fell, I am talking, perhaps a thousand.

That sudden release got my attention, and thus came the little story I wrote.

L. Wakefield

Today we had the first snow that actually stuck to the trees. It's not a new thing for me to see- but each year it catches me by surprise..the white softens and adds depth to the evergreens. It seems to make no difference to the oaks- I think their leaves are too smooth for it to cling.
   The deer will find it harder to hide now, as they are surrounded by a Christmas card of scenery. (and it is still october!)   LW
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

I spent the weekend at our family's cabin near Detour Mi. in our upper peninsula. We did not have snow, but we had very crisp,clear,cold nights.

Last night, it was extremely difficult to drag ourselves inside out of the cold, as the northern lights were putting on a show.

We finally did go in, but I had to get up early  and I was surprised to find my ticket was still good for the 4:30 am showing! (I am glad I was the only one up and out, as we still have an outhouse up there and I left the door open so I wouldn't miss anything!

Forester Frank

Jeff:

Nice story about your trees. Polish it up and send it to Garrison Keehler (sp?) to read at 7:35 a.m. on CMU Public Radio.

Frank
Forester Frank

Jeff

MY Trees was moved to the top of the thread.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Forester Frank

Thanks for bringing it back Jeff. I really like this poem that you wrote.8)
Forester Frank

Gordon

Seems like yesterday doesn't it. When the poem was put on line that is. So are the leaves dropping in your area?

Gordon

Thank You Sponsors!