iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Species id

Started by DonW, February 27, 2021, 07:54:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DonW

E

the knot configuration exposed on the end grain gives an indication of species. What species is this?
Hjartum yxa, nothing less than breitbeil/bandhacke combo.

Tacotodd

Probably need a fresh view. 🤷‍♂️
Trying harder everyday.

DonW

Quote from: Tacotodd on February 27, 2021, 08:03:42 PM
Probably need a fresh view. 🤷‍♂️
The view is pretty clear of the one end grain, the knots form a kind of star indicating a growth with branches opposing each other rather than a staggered growth. Is that a characteristic of Spruce or another evergreen?

btulloh

It is some kind of conifer.  That is a whorl like a white pine, but I'm not familiar enough with species in your area. What conifer in your region has branches in whorls like that. More than one type?
HM126

DonW

Quote from: btulloh on February 27, 2021, 08:41:07 PM
It is some kind of conifer.  That is a whorl like a white pine, but I'm not familiar enough with species in your area. What conifer in your region has branches in whorls like that. More than one type?
Neither am I being new to this area. There are Spruce, Ponderosa, "Pine", Pinion and Juniper but these last are identifiable enough. Then it's not the case that the opposing branches is an identifying feature? Thought I was on to some way of knowing the species tree used to build these old log structures. 

btulloh

More than one species does that. I don't know how many different ones out there the do it though.  I guess we'll need a real expert like WDH to check in.

They look like the would be from smallish branches, so that may narrow it down. 
HM126

btulloh

Well I thought Danny and/or caveman might see this and chime in, but I guess it's time for the Bat Signal. @WDH  @caveman 

HM126

SwampDonkey

If it were here in New Brunswick I would say spruce. I've never seen a camp made of fir or pine logs. Log homes these days can be made of red pine logs, but that is modern times. My grandfather had many camps in the woods and I have been to all them, plus a number of fishing camps on rivers. They were all spruce, and mostly red or black spruce, but white spruce is also possible. Out your way, spruce or pine is probably likely.

Back east here, I have only seen one cabin made of northern white cedar up this way, but that was square timber, not logs. And branches are alternate, not whorled on those.

You going to build one? ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

It is very likely lodgepole pine, Pinus contorta.  
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DonW

Quote from: SwampDonkey on February 28, 2021, 02:00:09 PM
You going to build one? ;D
I'm going to fix some up replacing bad sections where it's needed. Getting close on the right wood is where I chose to start.
Quote from: WDH on February 28, 2021, 06:38:07 PM
It is very likely lodgepole pine, Pinus contorta.  
It's one of the trees growing in the area so could be that's what's been used. Very helpful. 

Thank You Sponsors!