iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 353

Started by Woodcarver, December 17, 2004, 03:22:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodcarver

I'm saw shopping. I was thinking of either the Husky 350 or 246XP (I have a good Husky dealer, who I have dealt with for years).

The dealer doesn't have the 246XP in stock and won't have until the middle of January. He suggested the Husky 353 as an alternative. More money than the 350, but a better saw.  Not as fast a saw as the 246XP but a little less expensive, too.

Has anyone had any experience with the 353? Comments?
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

Ron Scott

I have a 351 which was replaced by the 353. I'm told that the only difference between them is in the emission system. The 351 has been a good saw. I might prefer the 346XP though.
~Ron

sawguy21

The 353 is very popular here but we can't get the 346XP so hard to compare
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

FarmerGrant

I bought one this fall.  It if the first saw I've owned, but I have used an older Homelite of my fathers quite a bit.  

This saw is what my dealer reccomened for my uses.  I cut about 10 cords of wood per year for heating the house and cabin.

I cut 10 cords this fall with it, and it didn't flinch.  I'm running a 20" bar, using it on white spruce and birch.  I could probably go with the 16" bar.  I hardly ever need the full 20".  

What are you going to be using the saw for?

Good luck!

Woodcarver

FarmerGrant, I have a little logging to do, about 12 acres of aspen to be clear-cut. I only plan to do about 6 acres this winter and another 6 next winter. Should average about 35 cords of pulp and sawbolts per acre, 200 cord this year and another 200 next year.

I also cut 8 - 10 cord of firewood a year.  

hydro2

I have been using an old Stihl O30 to cut firewood.  I heat with an outside furnace.  The Stihl is a good saw, but lately it has been plagued with carburetor trouble.  I was getting pieces of the gas filter in the carb and I put on a new filter and that helped, but after several hours of running the saw gets peaky.  I don't think it is a crank seal, because after a carburetor cleaning the saw runs fine.  Anyway, my buddy bought a 353 to cut wood with and I used it some this fall and just loved it.  Nice and light, but it still will cut well.  More features than the 55 Rancher with about the same power range!!  I bought on will be using it soon.

353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Woodcarver

The decision has been made.The 346XP doesn't have a compression release. The 353 does. My accountant said buy the saw with the compression release. When my account speaks, I listen. Based on the favorable comments here and my accountant's instructions, the 353 is the saw of choice.

I'll be off to my favorite Husky dealer's place of business Monday to buy myself (and my accountant) a belated Christmas present. Thanks, everyone, for your advice.

hydro2

How do you like your new 353?  I love mine, so far
353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Woodcarver

Sorry to be a little slow to reply Hydro2. I've been away for a couple of days paying my mother a holiday visit.

A couple of things came up and I didn't make the trip to the dealer when I thought I would. He's closed tomorrow.  Hope to purchase the saw Tuesday.  

hydro2

Did you get your new saw yet????

353 Husky
Husky 372XP
030 Stihl
Mahindra 4035
Speeco Log Splitter
Hardy Outside Wood Stove

Woodcarver

Maybe tomorrow, more likely Wednesday.  

dewwood

I think you made a good choice with the 353.   I have both the 353 and 346XP and I prefer the 353.  It just seems to be the one I always pick up when they are both right there.
Selling hardwood lumber, doing some sawing and drying, growing the next generation of trees and enjoying the kids and grandkids.

Woodcarver

Made the trip to the Husky dealer yesterday.  Today I put chains on the tractor, strapped on some ice cleats (ice everwhere right now) and headed for the woods. I cut down and dead elm and bucked up a trailer load of firewood, about half a cord. The saw ran flawlessly. Good throttle response and vibration was almost non-existant, espciallly when compared to my old Sach-Domar 112.

I agree, Dewood, I think it will prove to have been the right decision.  :)      

Thank You Sponsors!