iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

firewood processor

Started by treejoe, February 26, 2012, 10:25:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

treejoe

Well thaks to magicman I get to start a new post.
Greetings all and thank you for a place a guy can go and get some great ideas that are articulated well. I will be starting the build of a firewood processor and would like all the info, two cense, and ramblings any one is willing to take the time and share. I've already read all the posts after typing in "firewood processor" and thanks so much for the great discutions and pictures - oh how i would love to share some with you all but i'm not the best with computores, I can however get the pictures on the computor, but we'll cross that birdge when we get there.

Magicman said to share a bit about myself. Ug. Well here goes. I'm 38, own my own bussiness removing and trimming trees and selling firewood, and am married to the most wonderful woman/cook in the world. My passion is wood ever since i carved a pair of malard ducks when i was 13 and sold them for $60. My dad owned a custom wood shop making van parts and taught me a wonderful trade - thanks dad. Now i use wood to make a living, heat my house, and for relaxation - nothing like going to the woods for a sit. Well that's me in a nutshell.

I will have some questions when it comes to the hydrolics to the processor, but thats weeks down the road. Thanks again Magicman for the help :D now I'm cooking  8)

Magicman

Welcome Joe to the Forestry Forum world.  You now have the hang of posting, so we all look forward to hearing about your adventures.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Buck

Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned.

Live....like someone left the gate open

Piston

Welcome to the forum Joe.  8)

I look forward to following your progress on the wood processor build.  I've always been amazed at the amount of firewood those things can produce in short amounts of time. 

I don't think I've heard of too many 13yr old's selling anything for $60, let alone a pair of hand carved ducks!  That's pretty neat.  ;D
-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

treejoe

Thank you all for your kind words. I've read the forum for some time now and see there is some amazing people on here. I'm looking forward to meeting some of these people, magicman for instance.
I will attempt to post some pictures this evening. I think i might be able to figure it out but . . . Just keep in mind, this is a work in progress and I am NOT a macanic thus will have to learn as i go.

treejoe

Well my flame just went out. I tried to post some pictures and it said "firewood processor 025.JPG.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are skp,xlsx,txt,doc,pdf,xls,wks,html,htm,shtml,kmz,eml."
Well guys, if you want some pictures someone will have to walk to walk this blockhead threw it. So much for "cooking now."

POSTON WIDEHEAD

TreeJoe, how many board feet in a Wooden Mallard Duck if a Wooden Mallard Duck had board feet?  :D

Welcome to the Forestry Forum! You'll have a good time here!
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

eastberkshirecustoms

Quote from: treejoe on February 27, 2012, 03:46:54 PM
Well my flame just went out. I tried to post some pictures and it said "firewood processor 025.JPG.
You cannot upload that type of file. The only allowed extensions are skp,xlsx,txt,doc,pdf,xls,wks,html,htm,shtml,kmz,eml."
Well guys, if you want some pictures someone will have to walk to walk this blockhead threw it. So much for "cooking now."
All my photos are jpegs. You can't upload directly to a post. You have to upload to your gallery, then link them from your gallery to your post.

Magicman

Joe, it sounds like you clicked on the wrong line below the posting box.  Click the blue line that says: Click here to add Photos to post  You will get it.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

cutterboy

Quote from: treejoe on February 26, 2012, 10:25:05 PM
for relaxation - nothing like going to the woods for a sit.

You are so right about that!

Welcome Joe. This is a worthwhile project you are doing. I am looking foward to hearing all about it. Don't worry about the pictures..... it took a lot of us a while to get it right.
To underestimate old men and old machines is the folly of youth. Frank C.

treejoe

Well it looks like you will have to wait on pictures. I've been trying for the last hour with no avail. Probably have to get some kid over so they can show me how to do it. ha
I have a 7.5 acher field to build the processor, and a 130lb. saint bernard named "tiny" to help me. ha.
So "how many board feet are in a malard duck if a malard duck had board feet" one asks. Two of course. ha
Well don't worry, I'll get it figured out and post some pictures for you all. There isn't realy anything to see right now anyways, just a 70' moblehome frame, used 125 hs diesel motor, 2 corn elevators, hay bailer, and scrap steel. Not to mention a big dog.

treejoe

Ok, some how I think i got the pictures from my computor to the forum "but" they are on my galery. Like I said "there isn't much to see."

beenthere

You did great. Now when in a post, go to your gallery and click on the pic you want to put in your post. Scroll down a bit to find the button "Insert image in post" and answer "yes" to see it pasted in your post. Click preview to check your progress.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Magicman

Yup, I agree with you about the big dog.   :D

treejoe

Magicman, your the best! Thanks for getting my little guy in there. So, are you going to help this block head out and tell me exatly how to do it? Pleeeeeeeeeeeease!

treejoe

treejoe

Thank you Beenthere for helping out. Took me a little while but got it.
I have to put an ash tree on the ground tomarrow (about an hour) then i get to start the processor.

Magicman

Joe, for a second there, I thought that you had stolen my log......Whooooa, you did steal my log.   :o :o

treejoe

Finaly got to start the processor today. Took a 70' mobilehome trailer and cut it down to 15'. I'm using the rest of the I beem as braces. I will post pic next time i go out.

Again, thanks for the help gents.

treejoe

:-\Just read jaybe s post on "Building a firewood processor", kind of discoraging to me. #1 I cant seem to find anyone who knows hydrolics around here for starters. #2 I don't know anything except whats on my skidsteer, #3 It seems i always run into a snag somewere along the line.

But i  have a lot of wood that needs worked and the only way to do it eficiantly is with a processor so I'm stuck building one. Just wish i had the time and an extra 3k. Well i have the motor and gear box enginered. Flipping the frame over thursday to start building on it.

Any one know anyone in norther indiana that knows hydrolics?

firecord

there is a forum called hydraulic innovations.  good guys there also  when you get to that point they can help you.  hydraulics arent that dificult when your just pushing and pulling.  its when your trying to maintain speed and accuracy that they get dificult.

treejoe

I will certanly try to get ahold of them when that time comes. I want to be able to run my clamp, saw motar, and bar cilender all with one lever, not to mention i have several vareoious sise pumps, cilenders, and valves. anyways that's a ways down the road.

Went out today and got the motor braces welded to the trailer. more pics sat.

treejoe

8)sorry all for not keeping in touch, i'v been swamped with tree work - all the more reason to get the processor up and running. I also got a driving job and been on the road a lot. With that said i did find time to almost get the motor mounted on the trailer.

250quality

Mine seems to be working pretty sweet now after lots of trial and error.
Have a look.http://www.youtube.com/user/250Brian?feature=mhee

lonewolf

Don't know if this will help u but try ronco engineering eau claire wi. They may have a store near u. The guys there could build a helicopter with a snuff can and a rubber. Also there not afraid to do some sideways engineering to get u back up and running. If u tell them what your trying to do I'm sure they will be helpfull.
"EARTH FIRST"  WE'LL LOG THE OTHER PLANETS LATER

Thank You Sponsors!