iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Dead Ash pricing

Started by nativewolf, March 14, 2020, 08:01:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativewolf

Just curious what sort of pricing people are getting for dead ash, like dead dead.  Still has bark but ...not fresh.  

Was offered 100 acres today.  That's quite a bit of dead ash and I am concerned about moving it.
Liking Walnut

KEC

I know nothing about stumpage prices, but everyone is saying that it's very dangerous felling them due to dead limbs overhead!

nativewolf

Quote from: KEC on March 14, 2020, 08:27:15 PM
I know nothing about stumpage prices, but everyone is saying that it's very dangerous felling them due to dead limbs overhead!
Yep it is a mechanical job for sure
Liking Walnut

Southside

Can you even move it legally? From a sawing standpoint I would say it has no value most likely. Firewood at best. 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

nativewolf

Quote from: Southside on March 14, 2020, 08:44:22 PM
Can you even move it legally? From a sawing standpoint I would say it has no value most likely. Firewood at best.
Could still export last summer, getting a bit long on the tooth now.  A few places are buying but only 400-600 on doyle.  Hard to make a buck at that rate, even if the wood is low cost.  Everyone is infected so no quarantine around us, there is not a living ash for a hundred miles.  
Liking Walnut

BargeMonkey

Last summer I could get rid of some, towards the end they started rejecting it if the bark was really falling off and the wood discolored. Now they dont even want it if it's too bad. 
 Firewood... 😂 
I got into a stand of the dead stuff with the Timbco, someone's got to be out of their mind to cut a large quantity anymore and not be mechanical, it takes nothing for them to shed limbs. 👍

ehp

I cut way more of it than I like but we do not have any live ash here , sure you may find a odd bush that its still good but not much . Some of the jobs latterly have about 50% of the ash on the ground so yes its bad but as long as its not purple stain inside the mill takes it . Price wise lots are at 50% of total value of the bush of ash so you need to produce but can make what I feel is good money cutting . Everything here is priced by the diameter of the logs so stuff up to 16 inch is a set price, 20 inch is another and everything over 24 inch is top price which is $750/1000 doyle. So a average of $550 to $650 /1000 is common for mill run logs . Another thing , its not the tree you are falling you need to really worry about, its the trees the tree your falling hits that you need to worry about so as soon as your tree moves get your hairy little butt moving and moving fast , cutting big bur oak here is worse in lots of cases as its got a bug to and are a lot bigger so you need to move farther from the stump

Thank You Sponsors!