iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drive belt as band wheel belt or keep them separate

Started by Crusarius, July 18, 2019, 12:44:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crusarius

So as many of you know, I finished my first sawmill build. I have been toying with the idea of integrating everything I learned on version 1 and building a version 2 and adding more kool gadgets. 

I see so many different builds and designs out there they all have really nice features I like. What I am curious about is Whether using the drive belt as the band saw wheel (woodland mills) is a good idea or not?

I like having less parts. But I know on my build my drive clutch was 4" and my driven pulley was 14" So if I choose to use the same 19" wheel that I used on my first build that would mean I will either have to adjust the clutch size, limit the engine, or run smaller band wheel. I also like that it make the entire package smaller.

I would be using a 22hp predator engine again so that would mean dual drive belts. This I don't think will be a problem cause the blade only needs to ride on one of them.

For anyone that has a setup that uses the drive belt as the band wheel belt can you get measurements for me? Pulley and clutch diameters along with belt length. I would be very grateful. I am also no scared of pictures :)

btulloh

HM126

ladylake

Keep them separate, way less chance of taking out the drive belt when you break a blade. Best to keep the drive belt on the other side of the frame.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Crusarius

That is a good point But I would think with proper guarding that wouldn't be an issue But I am sure pitch buildup would be.

Your right. Who am I kidding. I would not add an extra guarding under there just because I want to keep it as light as possible.

Bruno of NH

The Thomas Bandsaw Mill 
I had was set up with 20" bandwheels the drive belt was the band wheel belt.
Worked well never lost a belt. 
Only broke one blade.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

RAYAR

Since you're using a 22 HP, I would say use separate belts. Shared belt is fine for smaller less HP mills. One of the plus things about using a separate drive belt is the engine can be mounted a little higher so you can build more throat depth on your mill. Shared drive belt means the engine pulley needs to be below the level of the top of the band pulley, thereby restricting your possible depth of cut. A shared drive belt means the engine only has a limited place to be mounted where as a separate drive belt(s) allows much more freedom in location of engine mounting and possible ease of servicing. You can also use a jack shaft set-up if needed for your build.

Have I made up your mind yet? ;D

Ray
mobile manual mill (custom build) (mods & additions on-going)
Custom built auto band sharpener (currently under mods)
Husqvarna 50, 61, 254XP (and others)
96 Polaris Sportsman 500
2006 Ranger 4X2 w/cap, manual trans (431,000 Km)

Crusarius

With my current setup I think I would have enough room to put the engine on the existing frame. Not sure I need more throat depth but could be nice in some cases. But you may be right and I may not have enough space as currently setup. But if I switch to bigger wheels it won't matter :)

However, the rest of the points you made are very valid and is pushing me towards separate drive belts.

btulloh

HM126

Thank You Sponsors!