iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drill guide for logs

Started by surfsupinhawaii, August 06, 2007, 12:27:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

surfsupinhawaii

I am wondering if anyone knows of a company that sells drill guides. I have looked on the internet and found Timberwolf guides for around $425.00. I am building a log home and need to drill for the thru bolts. I have come up with a drill guide that I made. I used a floor flange and a 3/4'' black pipe screwed to it. It works ok, but not as acurate as I want, I also need to make some sort of curved bottom for it so it will sit correctly. Looking for maybe some pictures of some previous jigs, or homemade guides. I need it to drill at least 15'' deep. Any suggestions. Thanks for the Help :)

TexasTimbers

The jig sold by Timberlinx is the best deal I have found on a jig. You should call them to find out if they can provide you with the proper sized brass bushings for you application as their jig is made for their products.
I am a pretty good fabricator and was going to make a jig of my own when I bought a box of Timberlinx hardware from them, but they talked me into buying their jig claiming they guranteed I would not be sorry for buying it. What an understatement.
It should not be hard to make a curved adapter for it I would not think. Give them a call and they will bend over backwards to assit you. I have been well pleased with their products customer support in the past and highly recommend them to anyone.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

surfsupinhawaii

Thanks alot Kevjay. I called Timberlinkx this morning and ordered a jig for drilling logs. It mounts on the side of the log and you drill from the top, it will act as a square. I think it will work well just as long as I make sure my measurements are correct. It will leave a hole in the log where I mount it each time, but I will plug it with a copper cap, make it look like it was meant to be there :), Thanks again for helping me solve my problem,

TexasTimbers

My pleasure hawaii. I don't seem to offer much actual useful info so it feels good when it happens. :)

Those guys at Timberlinx are top notch aren't they ???

Tell us how you like the tool once you put it to use and post some pictures too please. We love pics.
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

FrankLad

Just wanted to comment as well about the Timberlinx drill jig.  It is an excellent tool!

I would NOT want to install Timberlinx without it - that's for sure.  ...and I bet you can find plenty of other uses for it.

Thank You Sponsors!