iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up my mill last weekend!

Started by Smakman, May 23, 2005, 06:59:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smakman

Alright now, just let me have my moment.  I know that soon I will probably be questioning whether or not I should have done this.....

Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Jeff

No Question, you needed it you wanted it and now you have it. Good for you!! :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Kirk_Allen

TOO COOL!  8) 8) 8) 8)

Congradulations! 

Bibbyman

Congradulations...  Now... go make sawdust and have fun!!

Say,  it's blue.  That much I can see.  It's got 4 post.  But I don't see a name.  Is it a Cook?
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

twostroke_blood

CONGRATS From A Sawmill Greenhorn   8)

gary

smiley_bouncing_pinky smiley_thumbsup smiley_clapping

Congrtulations   Nice saw smiley_clapping smiley_clapping

Smakman

Actually, it's not a brand name saw.  The guy I am buying it from built it from the ground up himself.  His real job is designing and building industrial equipment for the motor companies in the St. Louis area so he knew what he was doing.  It's all hydraulic and pretty much everything is built overkill......meaning far heavier than it really needs to be.  The log loading cylinders are rated at 20,000 each!  :o  I get the mill, all of his milling tools, (cant hooks, sharpener, setter, etc.) even the shelter it's under.  I will be going up early on Mem. Day to take down the shelter and, hopefully, haul everything home in one trip.  I had to borrow the last $3000 to make it happen, but I don't think that's bad for overhead.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

customsawyer

Looking good, but now you are going to go nuts until you get it all figured out.

P.S Don't none of us have it all figured out. So were all nuts. :D
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Smakman

I quit trying to figure out everything a long time ago.  Now all I have to do is figure out how to convince my wife to run this thing while I fish.  ;D
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Brucer

Quote from: Smakman on May 23, 2005, 06:59:46 PM
....  I know that soon I will probably be questioning whether or not I should have done this.....

;D I know that feeling well. For the first month after I got my mill I was flip-flopping. One day it was"What were you thinking of -- you must have been crazy." Then the next day someone would tell me how much need there was for another mill in these parts.

I finally sat myself down and had a little talk with myself. "You bought the thing, you're committed, now you're just DanG well going to have to figure out how to make it pay."

It'll be cool  :).

Nice looking mill.
Bruce    LT40HDG28 bandsaw
"Complex problems have simple, easy to understand wrong answers."

Pedalbiker

Just a heads up, there are plans on ebay that appear to be from the same designer and builder.  I've got a set and it looks like a real nice saw, keep us posted on how it works.

Regards,

Pat
Patrick Hubble
Coleman, MI

"You will never find time for anything. If you want time, you must make it."      Charles Buxton

Ernie

Quote from: Smakman on May 23, 2005, 08:13:02 PM
I had to borrow the last $3000 to make it happen, but I don't think that's bad for overhead.

What a great deal for a lifetime of fun and sawdust everywhere.

if you want to find someone to question "why you have done this"  you've come to the wrong place.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

tnlogger

good looking mill ya got there. congrats  8) 8)
gene

Smakman

Yup, that's the same fellow.  He is selling the CAD plans on eBay for the same mill.  He had planned on selling mills, but found that building them alone, from the ground up, instead of on an assembly line, was just too time consuming for the return.  That's something else I get too, a copy of the CAD plans.  Just so you know, he has spent a lot of time updating the plans so they are as current as they can be and reflect any mods and changes he made after the initial build.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Bibbyman

Quote from: Smakman on May 23, 2005, 08:13:02 PM
It's all hydraulic and pretty much everything is built overkill......meaning far heavier than it really needs to be.  The log loading cylinders are rated at 20,000 each! 

What drives the HD pump?  What is the pump's GPM and PSI?  Many mills that have a lot of hydraulics use a second engine to run the pump.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

sigidi

Cool good on ya Smakman,

there's nothing like cutting your first board -just ask Jeff, he's cut for someone else for more than score and 5 years, but only recently cut HIS first boards. He'll tell ya it is truly memorable
Always willing to help - Allan

TN_man

It is truly memorable. We are excited for ya 8) 8) 8)
WM LT-20 solar-kiln Case 885 4x4 w/ front end loader  80 acre farm  little time or money

submarinesailor

Good job - now go make some saw dust.  AND remember, we have got to have pictures of the first boards.  Pictures, more pictures.

subsailor

MULE_MAN

CONGRATULATION  on your new mill , Looks like you done REAL GOOD
to me  8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDG25 with Simple Setworks, debatker, 580 CASE backhoe

Smakman

Quote from: Bibbyman

What drives the HD pump?  What is the pump's GPM and PSI?  Many mills that have a lot of hydraulics use a second engine to run the pump.

The 24 HP Honda runs the pump as well as the blade.  It's a Bosch pump, the GPM is 25.  The PSI was adjustable and operates at around 500-700 PSI if I recall correctly.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Gipper

Congrats Smakman on your mill!  8) 8)  After you get it all home, set up and make a little sawdust, you will never again question whether or not you should have done this - you'll be asking yourself why you waited so long.  ;D ;D ;D

Smakman

Well, I know why I waited so long.....$$$$....or lack thereof.
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Smakman

Already have a job to do!   I have a fellow who wants about 100 6X6 ERC cants cut into 4/4 boards.  Should be a simple job, just what I need to start learning on!
Cooks HD3238
Bobcat T320
Kioti 7320
Stihl 550i
Stihl 044

Left_Coast_Rich

8) 8)  GOOOOd looking rig  remember it isn't broke in till you saw some metal.. I am sure it will get you plenty of work and years of pleasure.  If you don't need that shade send it my way  it was 101 yesterday on my truck  yes sir down right hot  LC Rich :)
I know more today than yesterday less than tomorrow.

Swede

Congratulations, Smakman!

There is ONE thing I find hard to learn; change the blade in time. ;D ;)
Looks like a nice saw mill.

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

Thank You Sponsors!