iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bandmill with circular blades

Started by ammhouse, May 02, 2013, 11:47:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ammhouse

Hello, I'm new so forgive me if I'm missing the obvious. Has anyone ever tried mounting vertical circular blades in front of a bandmill to edge the
boards in one pass. I was envisioning one shaft with adjustable hubs...say probably 4 blades with the outer two blades having the adjustment on the outside and the inner two would have hubs adjustable but pre-set before starting. The depth of the vertical cuts would be limited I'm assuming since their would be 2,3 or 4 blades cutting and not practical for deep cuts. Would this work or is the band saw not precise enough for the bottom cut? What about going with a thicker or wider blade for the band mill? I would love to buy a twin circular mill but can't justify the cost since it would only be a hobby. Looking for ways to speed up the process of a band mill.

beenthere

Welcome to the Forestry Forum.

This idea was kicked around about a year ago, if I remember right (IIRC).  Seems the weight of the saws was a big negative, as the power to operate the saw blades.
Trying the search function might get a hit or two, depending on finding the right words to enter.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

redbeard

It would be tough to control and handle all the edgings coming off the log. You would spend more time getting them out of way for next cut. Interesting idea but I see a pixie stick pile of edgings. Just thinking and a big Welcome to forum.
Whidbey Woodworks and Custom Milling  2019 Cooks AC 3662T High production band mill and a Hud-son 60 Diesel wide cut bandmill  JD 2240 50hp Tractor with 145 loader IR 1044 all terrain fork lift  Cooks sharp

Ianab

I would think the extra complexity that it would add to the mill stop it being so practical. Means you need another ~20 hp to drive the edger blades? Then the gearbox / drive / edger adjustment mechanism all mounted on the saw carriage.

Easier and cheaper to get a standalone edger?

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

thecfarm

ammhouse,welcome to the forum.I am a hobby sawyer too. Speed does not go with hobby.   ;D  I have an all manual mill. Can you say SLOW? Can you say ALOT of work? But I don't use it much and I am very happy with it. The more you get on a mill the more you have to maintain things and keep it in line. Sometimes the KISS is best.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

justallan1

Welcome to the forum. Ammhouse.
I would think that if anything it would slow things down. It would be 3 times as much time for a setup plus the scrap would be a mess.
If all of your logs were pretty much exactly the same it may be different. Just my opinion.
Allan

Ron Wenrich

I've sawn with a vertical edger on a circular mill.  It does what you're talking about.  It takes 2 separate power sources in order to run efficiently. 

But, the biggest problem is in tolerances.  On circle mills, we have a 1/4" tolerance due to saw kerf.  That means that we have a little play on our blade before we start seeing problems.  It also means that you have to be very good on blade maintenance.  A slightly dull blade isn't going to do it.  If a saw starts to drift out of a board, you'll get a line on your next cut.  If it pulls into a log, you're edging strip is going to hang onto the board.  I can't imagine you'll have any better results with a tolerance level that will be 4 times greater. 
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ammhouse

Thanks Guys...you are a wealth of information.
Reading through the posts can be overwhelming...there is so much experience and knowledge on here.
My Dad planted nearly 40 acres of ponderosa pines which were intended to be sold as Christmas trees from his tree farm...it didn't end up that way..they were planted too close together and he had a forestry guy come out and mark the trees which would need to be culled to let the others grow for lumber. That culling was never done either. I now have 40+ acres of say 10 to 24 inch trees about 25 to 30' high which I'm wondering how to handle...a sawmill seems to be the best option. Hate to see them just pushed down and burned..seems like such a waste.

Dave Shepard

Welcome to the Forum!

Years ago I remember reading in Sawmill and Woodlot about the Western Sawyer sawmill entered in one of the Shootouts that had a twin blade edger running either ahead or behind the band. I've never seen or read anything more about it.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Quotehave 40+ acres of say 10 to 24 inch trees about 25 to 30' high

Is that diameter or circumference?  We usually talk diameter at breast height (DBH) for trees, so am thinking circumference if only 30' high trees. 

We like pics, if you would post some. Sounds like a good project but some hard work. ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

drobertson

Amme, that would be a waste for sure, if anything try to get them on a deck of some sort off the ground, and in the meanwhile try and find a mill or mill service to saw up the timber,  like you, I just hate to see good timber go into a burn pile, such a waste,  out here some years ago a big cattle company dozed hundreds if not in the thousands of acres to run cattle, burnt nearly all the timber, folks were just shaking their heads at the waste, I still do everytime I drive by the ranch,   good day to you,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

dboyt

Ammhouse, welcome to the forum.  Trees the size you mentioned will square up into cants without much edging required.  Once you get the hang of it, edging with the mill is pretty quick.  If you get into a full production mode, you will want a separate edger, for sure.  You're doing the right thing in salvaging the trees.  Anything made from trees that you father planted are bound to become treasured family heirlooms.  A good manual sawmill should be just the ticket.  I use a Norwood MX34 on our tree farm in Missouri, and it has been an excellent investment.
Norwood MX34 Pro portable sawmill, 8N Ford, Lewis Winch

leroy in kansas

This is an interesting idea, however isn't this going to accomplish the same thing as a swing mill is built for? May be trying to reinvent the wheel. Just saying.

Magicman

Welcome to the Forestry Forum,    ammhouse.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

logloper

I have also thought along this idea. I have looked for a bandmill "body", but with circle saw blade( or blades) Kind of like a swing mill, but that has all the hydraulic options of a bandmill. Looked at the "TwinCut" mill, but something a bit smaller would be nice.

shenandoahsawmill

I own a Povlsen model 36 double cut horizontal wide band with circular saw edger and 42" throat. Mid 90s machine. The edger moves up out of the way and down to the band saw (When needed) with a hyd cyl. One circular blade is fixed and one is adjustable for board width. You could put multiple blades on the edger. I don't use the edger now as I am not into dimensioned lumber just flitch sawing and quarter sawing. The edger gets in the way when trying to get to the middle of  a big white oak log.    Gary

Satamax

French CD4 sawmill. Latil TL 73. Self moving hydraulic crane. Iveco daily 4x4 lwb dead as of 06/2020. Replaced by a Brimont TL80 CSA.

Thank You Sponsors!